Changes Over Time

Sang

By the time training was over and we were heading to lunch, we (and by we, and mean the guys) figured out what my power was: energy absorption. A rare power, one that only one other known mutant had. Persephone was pleased. 

We walked into the dining hall, and I was surprised to dozens of people. North had explained to me between fights that other mutants and scions lived here, and in the surrounding houses. He added that there was a school for mutants just a mile away, where some of my sisters worked part time. 

"Sang!" someone called, jerking me out of my thoughts. I turned to see Ain- Hope standing at a table at the far end of the dining hall, flagging me down. "Come sit with us!" she hollered, and Rachel, who was sitting across from her, smiled at me. 

I turned towards North, who I had been walking with, biting my lip. As much as I wanted to get to know my newly found spirit sisters, I didn't want to abandon my new friends. "Go on," he said, seeing my hesitation. He had a gentle smile on his face, his dark eyes kind. "You should go and get to know the others. We don't mind," he murmured and pushed me towards Rachel and Hope. 

"Thanks, North," I replied, giving him a smile as I walked over towards Rachel and Hope. Instead of the ball gowns they wore yesterday, they were in more casual clothes. Hope wore a forest green crop top and black jeans, while Rachel wore a dark red leather jacket over a black dress. "Hey guys. Where's everyone else?" I asked curiously, sitting down next to Hope. 

"Hi, Sang! Jean, Wanda, Emma and Betty are at the school, while the triplets are off doing goddess knows what," Hope replied, her tone rather dismissive towards the Fates. "How did training go?" she asked. 

I hesitated, not quite if I could define my training session as 'good'. While I had discovered my second power, it brought up more questions. "Okay." I finally said, biting my lip. 

Hope didn't push for more information, but she did send me a worried glance. "Are you hungry?" she asked, changing topics quickly. 

"No, thank you," I replied, and she shrugged, digging into her salad. My attention drifted to Rachel, who seemed lost in thought. "Rachel?" I asked, and she started, her eyes going from a molten red to a dark brown. "Oh, I'm sor-"

"It's okay, Sang," she interrupted, her voice high pitched and light and deep and growly at the same time. "Did you have a question?"

"Yes," I said slowly. "A couple, actually," I added, smiling slightly. "Yesterday, when I met you all, Persephone named you each, and gave you titles. She said you were the warrior and Hope was the creator."

Both girls froze for a second, and their necklaces seemed to pulse. "Persephone knows a lot," Rachel finally said. 

"And talks a lot," Hope added, and frowned. "We usually don't tell anyone until they've gone through the Ceremony, but since you already know our titles, I guess we can tell you." 

I wanted to ask what the Ceremony was, but Persephone held my tongue, her will overriding mine. Listen, she demanded as Rachel began to speak. "I'm the warrior," Rachel started, leaning back in her chair. "That means I go to... 'war' on the behalf of everyone else. If someone is in trouble, I go and save them. I'm on offense, while Dur- Emma is on defense. Emma has a similar duty to mine, but she's the protector, and it's her duty to keep everyone safe. Betty is the judge, and she's the one who sends me off, and can discipline everyone else."

"Basically, Betty is judge, Emma is jury, and Rach is the executioner," Hope joked, and Rachel rolled her eyes, swatting her cousin. "So now that you have the Defenders covered, it's time for Wanda and Jean. Wanda is part of the central Triple, which I can't really tell you about right now, but she's the crone. Her duty is to provide wisdom and help to find the hosts, and if necessary, to put us down if we get out of hand. Jean is also part of the Triple, and she's the leader. Her duty, as the mother, is to lead us, and like Wanda, she can take the Force back if we are using it wrongly. You still with me, Sang?" Hope asked, and I nodded.