9. Making a Moana

"SEE THE LINE WHERE THE SKY MEETS THE SEA~"

"IT CALLS MEEE!"

Kaylie was leaned on my shoulder with an empty water bottle while I was leaned on her head, holding my hairbrush as a microphone

"AND NO ONE KNOWWWS"

"HOW FAR IT GOEEEESS."

"JIMIN'S ABS ARE ALWAYS CALLING OUT TO ME SO... UM... CHOKE ME~"

"One, those are not the words. Two, Jesus Christ please don't tell me you're becoming that kind of fangirl."

Kaylie's cackle filled the room warmth, not just from her breath (lol) but I realized I missed this more than I thought. Enough to laugh right along with her.

"So when are you gonna introduce me to the guys? I wanna see the eye candy!"  She said, practically raving with excitement.

I snorted in response. "No way."

The sun had already completely disappeared over the horizon, which I realized when Kaylie leaned over to hit the button to pause the movie.

The silence rang heavy in the air for a handful of moments before-

"So you're giving up on your South Korean dream because...?" Kaylie mumbled in a flat voice and turned toward me with a betrayed countenance. 

I sighed slowly.

"Well, I need to know that I'm making the right decision here before I try and convince my mom to let me go."

At that, Kaylie hopped up on her knees on the couch, facing me. The lamp light made the shadows on her face prominent and nearly intimidating.

"Fiona."

"Kaylie?" I challenged

"Fiona, do you see the line where the sky meets South Korea?"

"What??"

"Does it call you?"

"What the hell are you saying?"

"What I'm saying is that... hmm... "

I stared at her with a raised eyebrow kind of look, except I'm kinda not capable of raising only one eyebrow so it kinda looked like Flynn Rider's smoulder.

"Ooh! Ooh I got it! I got this one, yess. Okay, think of it this way.. Moana, Beauty and the Beast, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, what do they all have in common?"

Huh?

"...Great soundtracks?"

"Yes! Wait, no. I mean, yeah but that's not what I was getting at"

"A missing parent?"

"Well, true, except for Moana But also not quite there."

"...you lost me... "

Kaylie sighed and shook her head.

"Main characters that took a chance, whether it was in line with their parents' wishes or not. And look how it paid off. Their lives are great...for the most part anyway. Anyway, the point is, they didn't let anyone dictate their lives. You should be taking the wheel."

Soberly rubbing my eyes, I thought for long enough to realize Kaylie was right. I was being ridiculous. I was an adult now, capable of making my own decisions. Whether they were good ones was an entirely different question. In that case, I can totally go to Korea. Wait...I'm going to go to Korea...

"You're right! Oh my God you're a genius!" My revelation led me to pounce on my best friend as she reached for the TV remote to resume the movie.

"Would you call my mom and tell her that?" Kaylie wheezed out as I squeezed her like an 4-year-old squeezes a teddy bear. "Whoa getting handsy there."