10

Nate and I lay in my bed underneath the warmth of the covers, watching movies.

I watched Nate, studying every feature of his face in admiration.

"You like what you're looking at?" He asks, looking at me.

"As a matter of fact, I do." I say, pecking him on the lips.

He smiles and pulls me closer.

"Nate?" I ask, looking at the tv.

He hums in response.

"Remember how I said I didn't like Top Gun?" I ask.

"Yeah." He moves his head to look at me.

"I lied." I say, looking back at him.

"Told you it was a good movie." He says, grinning.

"Yeah. And, I've been watching a bunch of movies from the 80s and I think I've come to the conclusion that that era was the greatest in cinematic history." 

"It was, wasn't it." He sighs.

"One more thing." I say.

"That might be?"

"I want to take you out." I say.

"To where?" He asks, raising an eyebrow.

"A drive in." I say.

"Do you know where the closest one is around here?" He asks.

"No but I can check it out." I say, focusing my attention back to the movie.

"Alright." He says, pulling me closer to him. We both fell asleep.

*

The next day is just a lazy day for all three of us.

*

"Mills. Wake up." Nate says, shaking me slightly.

I groan. "What?" 

"Today's the day!" He says excitedly.

"Huh?" I rub my eyes.

"Gender appointment." He says.

"Oh my god it is." I say, climbing out of bed and walking to the closet.

I pull on a pair of leggings and a Mickey Mouse shirt. I pick up my phone and go to my contacts. I decide whether this is a good idea, but call him because after all, he does deserve to know the gender of the baby.

"Um hey." I say.

"Milly?" He asks.

"Yeah, it's me. I was, uh, wondering if you wanted to go with Nate and I to find out the gender?"

"Yeah, sure. I would love too." He says, a slight hint of bitterness in his voice.

"Okay. Well, we'll be there in, um, 20 minutes?" I say.

"Yeah, sounds good." He says. I hang up and take a deep breathe. 

"Nate!" I yell.

"Yeah?" He yells back.

"We have to pick up Derek in 20 minutes!"

I hear footsteps, then see Nate in the doorway. "Do you think that's a good idea?" He asks.

"He should know the gender of the baby." I didn't say his baby because of what he did.

"Go fix your hair for gods sake!" I say overreacting.

"For your information, I happen to like my hair messed up." He says, smiling sweetly then pulling on a hoodie.

"Lets wake Cassie up." I say, grabbing his hand and leading him to Cassie's room. I turn back to him and put my finger to my mouth. We walk in quietly. I turn on my phone and go to an app.

I press the button and slide my phone across her head. Cassie jolts up and screams. Me and Nate fall on her bed laughing.

"I swear to god if you shaved my head, I'm gonna kill you!" Cassie yells, climbing out of bed and running to the bathroom.

We wait a few minutes for her to come back, still laughing really hard.

"I hate you both." She says. She grabs a pillow and hits us both with it.

"Get dressed!" I yell at her excited.

She stands there, clearly confused.

"Gender appointment." I say.

"Okay. Get out." She says, walking to her closet.

Nate and I walk into the living room and sit on the couch.

"I bet it's gonna be a girl." Nate says.

"Wanna put some money on it?" I ask, shoving his arm lightly.

"Yeah. Maybe I will." Nate says, pulling out his wallet. He unfolds it and pulls out a fifty dollar bill.

"Sure you wanna risk it, baby boy?" I ask.

"Yep." He says. "And what do you think it'll be?"

"A boy." I pull my bag onto my lap and search for my crumpled fifty in the bottom.

Cassie walks in. "What are y'all doing?"

"You'll think we're horrible people if we tell you." Nate picks up the money on the couch cushion, "Hold this. Don't spend it."

Cassie grabs the money and puts it in her purse. "Okay." She says slowly.

Nate and I stand up and the three of us walk outside. Nate drives while I sit shotgun and Cassie sits in the back. In a few minutes, Derek is sitting in the seat to Cassie's left, behind Nate  and Sammy to her left, behind me.

"So, uh, D. Do you think it's gonna be a boy or, uh, a girl?" I ask, trying to make small talk.

"Um, I think a girl." He says.

Nate looks at me and smirks. I roll my eyes and he chuckles.

We get the technician's office in 5 minutes and we all walk in. I fill out a few papers and get signed in.

"Milly?" A nurse says. I stand up and walk to her.

"How many are allowed in the room?" I ask.

"Only one, besides you." She says.

"Okay." I say. "Gimme a sec?" I ask.

She nods her head and I walk to my group.

"She said only one can go."

"I think Derek should be the one." Nate says.

"Yeah, he is the father." Sammy says. Cassie agrees with them.

"Okay. Derek?" I ask.

He takes a deep breath and stands up, the two of us following the nurse to a room. I lay on the paper covered bed and look at Derek. Derek and I stare at each other while waiting for the technician to come in.

"Hey guys! You're," she pauses to look at the papers on her clipboard, "Milly and Derek. Correct?" 

I nod and she starts setting up the equipment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guys. I'm sorry. I lied. This was just a filler. I didn't mean to write as much as I did. But next chapter will have more Derek. I promise. Cross my heart. I meant to include a lot of Derek but I clearly get sidetracked. Love y'all.