15

I wake up to the rumbling of thunder the next morning. I check my phone for the time.

7:28.

 I put on a grey hoodie, then walk downstairs as quietly as possible because no one else was awake.

I walk into the kitchen and start a pot of coffee.

A 10 minutes later, I've a cup of black coffee and I'm sitting on the couch, listening to the peaceful sounds of thunder and the soft thumping of rain.

I've got my sleeves over my hands and I'm sipping my coffee. I place a hand on my stomach, rubbing it.

"Mommy's gonna take good care of you baby girl." I whisper quietly. I take a deep breath and exhale. This baby is going to have what I didn't.

A few minutes later, I get up and pour another cup of coffee.

When I walk back into the living room, Nate is sitting on the couch.

"You're up early." Nate says.

"Yeah, the thunder woke me up. I didn't hear you come down." I say, sitting beside him and laying my head on his shoulder.

"I thought I was being pretty loud. Almost fell coming down the stairs."

I giggle."Want some coffee?"

"I'll get some when I get back up." He says.

"Coffee is the only thing keeping me alive."

"I don't know how you can drink it straight without any creamer or sugar." Nate says, looking into my cup of coffee.

"It's the only way I've ever drank it."

"So you've never had a cup of coffee with sugar and creamer?" Nate asks.

"Nope." I say, taking a sip.

Nate stands up and grabs my hand, leading me into the kitchen. He grabs a coffee cup from the cabinet and pours coffee, creamer and sugar into it. He walks to a drawer and gets a spoon to stir the contents.

"Try it." He says, handing the cup to me. I put my cup down and grab the one he's holding in front of him. I take a small sip, then gag.

I cough. "That shit is disgusting!"

Nate takes the cup back from me and takes a sip.

"That is way too sweet! How have you not had a sugar coma? Do kids drink this? This is what they get at coffee shops?" I ask, grabbing mil out of the refrigerator and pouring it into my cup. "Nate, tell me they don't. This should be illegal."

"Sorry, Mills. But they do." Nate says, taking another sip of his coffee.

"That's terrible." I state, walking back into the living room and sitting on the couch.

Nate sits beside me after setting his cup on the end table. He lays his head in my lap and gently caresses my face.

"What are you doing today?" Nate asks, sitting up and kissing my cheek.

"I'm not sure. I hope it rains all day to be honest." I say.

"You like the rain?" Nate asks.

"I love it. The soft patterns of rain are soothing, don't ya think?"

"I do think and because I think, I don't like the rain."

"I bet I can make you enjoy rainy days." I challenge him, standing up. He stands up and looks down at me.

"I bet you can't." He says, pecking my lips.

"You're on." I say, walking into the kitchen and rinsing my empty cup.

I walk upstairs and to my room. I grab Nate's car keys from his pants and find an umbrella in the hallway closet.

I walk back downstairs, grabbing my wallet from the counter as I pass Nate.

"I'm borrowing your car." I say, opening the front door.

Nate walks up behind me and turns me around, planting a warm kiss on my lips. "Be careful and drive slow."

I nod and open the umbrella. I walk to his car and enter it.

20 minutes later, I pull into Target.

I browse through the aisles until I find the places I'm looking for.

Another 20 minute drive and I'm home. I open the door and walk in, carrying bags in both hands.

"What all did you bu- woah." Nate takes the bags out of my hands and lays them on the floor.

He sits on the floor and I sit in front of him.

"What is all this?" He asks.

"Fun." I say.

"How much did all this stuff cost?"

"$293.68." I say, pulling stuff out of the bags.

"Just to show me the joys of rainy days?"

"That would be correct."

Nate helps remove everything from the plastic bags. He sits on the floor, looking over everything I bought.

"This is insane." He says, picking up a puppy puzzle I bought.

"I'm insane." I say, kissing him.

"What are y'all up- not again." Cassie says, walking down the stairs and slowly sitting on the couch.

"What do you mean 'not again'?" Nate asks.

"Is she trying to show you how amazing rainy days are?" Cassie asks, bending over to pick up a random board game.

"Yeah." Nate says.

"I can already tell you that it's going to work. She did this to me when we were in high school." Cassie tells Nate. "You're gonna love rainy days after this. Did you get marshmallows?"

I nod my head. "You gonna stay?"

"Yeah. I love rainy days with you." Cassie says.

"Is she that good at making rainy days fun?" Nate asks.

"She is."

"I am."

"Lets get started." I say.

"Cass, can you make hot chocolate?" I ask.

Cassie gets up and goes to the kitchen.

I grab a box and open it.

"What kind of puzzle is that?" Nate asks, picking up one of the pieces.

"3D. These are the best." I say.

I lean forward and grab a bag of candy and open it.

"Want some?" I ask.

"Yeah." Nate grabs the bag and pulls some gummy worms out of it.

"Wanna drive this?" I ask, pulling an RC car out of a box.

"Yes!" Nate exclaims, reaching for the remote.

"Sorry." I say, pulling away from him.

"Millyyyy." He whines.

"Nope."

"Don't make me kiss you!" He says.

"You won't!" I say playfully.

Nate crawls over to me and pushes me gently on my back. He kisses up my neck and jawline, then brushes his lips over mine. Suddenly, he stops.

"Nateeee." I beg.

"Nope. Sorry." He says, taking the remote from me and running through the house.