13

"Hey. How'd it go?" Jack asks over the phone.

I sigh. "Madison is my boss."

"Yikes." J says.

"Where you heading for the rest of the day?" I ask.

"I got nothing to do." He says.

"Neither do I. I know it's short notice but, meet me at Cassie's house? We're going to the beach." I don't wait for a response before ending the phone call.

I run upstairs and put on a two piece bathing suit, then throw a baby blue hoodie. I grab a towel, sunscreen and sunglasses and stuff them into my beach bag.

"Cassie! I'm going to the beach!" I yell.

"Ok!" She yells back.

I grab my lanyard and walk outside and sit on the hood of Cassie's car. I close my eyes for a few minutes.

A couple minutes later, I hear a honk. I run to Johnson's car and get into the passenger seat.

"Nate's birthday is coming up in a few months. What are you getting him?" Jack asks.

"I have an idea that I'm pretty sure he'll like." I say.

J pulls into a parking space and we get out. We walk to the sand and put our stuff down, then race each other to the water.

"I won!" He says.

"No, I did!" I say, splashing him.

"Whatever." He says, smiling.

"Thank you so much for taking me!" I tell J, hugging him.

"No problem." He says. He walks back down the steps and gets in his car and drives off.

I open the front door.

"I'm home!" I yell. I toss my keys onto the kitchen counter.

"We're in here!" I hear Nate yell from the basement.

I walk downstairs and see Nate and Cassie sitting on bean bag chairs playing Mario Kart.

"Dope! You got the room set up!" I say, taking a seat on the black faux fur couch.

"You knew about this?" Nate asks.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I knew." I say, reaching over and grabbing a Coca Cola from the mini fridge next to the couch.

"I didn't even know she had a basement." Nate says.

"What did you think that door was for?" Cassie asks.

"I opened it one time and it scared me so..." Nate laughs at himself.

"You're adorable." I say, standing up, walking to Nate then sitting in his lap.

"Milly you're gonna make me lose!" Nate whines.

"C'mon. I'm not even in your way." I say. "And if anything, I'd be a good luck charm."

"It's true." Cassie agrees. "In high school, I played Mario Kart all the time against my ex boyfriends and every time Mills would sit beside me, I'd win. But if she wasn't in the room or at my house, I'd lose."