-(3)-

Marla's P.O.V

He grunts, pacing around the room. "Just tell me! You can't hide it forever!" I snap.

I hear his phone ring, and he jumps to answer it, running out of the room. "Saved by the bell." I grumble, folding my arms.

***

"MARLAAA!" Lily squeals. "Come play seven minutes in heaven with us!"

"You're a bit of a baby, don'tcha think?" I roll my eyes, walking downstairs to see them all but Chris sitting in a circle around the coffee table. "Yep." she giggles, and Ashton grabs her by the shoulders, nibbling her neck. She squeals, giggling, and I groan quietly. "But you're my baby." he whispers with a smile, hugging her close. Oscar coughs, "daddy," he mumbles, followed by a louder cough.

I laugh quietly, and I see Ashton's smile turn pervy. "Maybe," he whispers against her neck. "Ash!" she laughs, looking around as if to say, "not in front of them".

"Whaaat?" he teases, sticking his tongue out at her, and making her laugh.

I don't know what it is that makes me hate seeing them be close... Maybe it's that I can't be with Chris...

"Let's play this stupid crap! I've got to sleep." I growl. "Okay, okay," she giggles, crawling away from Ashton. "Aaaand..." her voice trails off as she picks two pieces of paper out of a hat. "Oh," her tone turns higher in surprise. "Who?" Oscar asks. "Me and you." she laughs. She sets a timer, and Ashton growls, being just as possessive as Chris, watching them walk into the closet together.

"Dude, really. He's gay. Why are you worrying?" I roll my eyes, sitting down next to Ashton. He grunts, looking away. "I feel ya, bro," Chris says as he walks down the stairs, slumping down in a beanbag chair, looking over at the closet. We hear faint talking and laughter, and once the seven minutes are up, they come out of the closet down the hall, still laughing. "NEXT!" Lily laughs, pulling two new names out of the hat. "Oooooooh," she smiles evilly. "MARLA," she smirks. "And Christian..."

His eyes widen in shock and he backs away. "No, no, no - no, no, no, no, no..." he snaps.

Why... Does he hate me? Did I do something wrong?

"TOO BAD!" Lily laughs, and all three push us into the small closet. I tug at the handle, sighing in defeat. It's almost pitch black, except for the small light coming from the cracks around the door. He keeps his distance from me, making me sigh in sadness. Why is he like this towards me? All I've ever wanted is to love him... But he pushes me away..

Just before I've lost all hope, his hand feels around for me in the darkness. Tracing down my spine, along my side and hips, and up my leg, making me gasp. His hand slides up into my hair, tucking a few strands behind my ear, and I gasp softly as he holds the back of my neck, leaning down due to the height difference, and making our lips meet.

The moment I've longed for for years... The moment I've only dreamed about, feeling him close to me. Then few seconds of serenity are gone, as he pulls away from me, muttering profanities under his breath...

He pushes the door open, making me realise I shouldn't have pulled earlier, (such an idiot), and storms out, heading upstairs. "Fuck..." he mutters.

He treats me like he just stuck his hand in the flames when his momma told him not to. Like he wanted to feel the burn then realised it hurt.

What did I do?

Tears form in my eyes but I quickly wipe them away as Marla comes trotting down the hall. "What...happened?" she asks with confusion, cocking her head to the side. "I don't know... It's like he touched a flame.." I whisper, my voice cracking.

I run upstairs to my room, seeing him pacing around it, and making me stop dead in my tracks.

"W-why do you... Why do you hate me?" I sob, curling up on the bed. "I don't hate you!" he gasps. "I just..."

"Then why won't you get near me?! You treat me like a ferocious dog or something..." I sob, trying to breathe steadily. "And we're fine now, answer my questions from before!"

"Marla!" he growls, and I jump back, hitting my back against the headboard. "I can't tell you because I need to protect you!"

I cock my head to the side in confusion, thinking. "W-what... What do you-"

"It's my sole purpose in life to protect you," he says softly, crawling over to me on the bed. "I can't say why, and I can't specify, because, again, I'd kill myself before I ever let anything happen to you.."

Tears flood my eyes as the repressed emotions I felt for him come back to me - and all at once.

"Th-then... Why, at least... Why won't you get close to me?" I sob. "You'll barely touch me unless I'm 'burning', and you show no emotion when you talk to me..." I look down, wiping my tears with my extra long sleeves. "Why..?"

"Because, Marla!" his voice quivers, the once assertive, steady tone becoming that of a crying child. "If I let myself get close to you...too close...they'll come for you... It may not make sense since you don't know the rest, but.. it's complicated. And you think I feel nothing for you?! Do you even know how many times I've felt incomplete replying with 'yes', instead of 'yes, my beautiful little baby'?"

I gasp, tears rolling down my cheeks, and I listen closely.

"Do you know how many times I've wanted to just grab you and kiss you?! How many times I've kept my tone steady and 'emotionless', as you say, just to avoid snapping and telling you how fucking much I love you?!"

I gape at his outburst, and he buries his face in his hands. "Fuck me..." he mumbles. "I need to go. I'm sorry..." he runs out, leaving me a crying mess on the bed. "CHRIS!" I yell through tears, running out and grabbing onto the stairway railing. "CHRISTIAN ANTHONY CECIL LAMAR!"

His hurried footsteps stop, as he knows I'll be ready to stab him when I use his full name. "I need to go, I'm sorry...baby.." he says as he runs out the door. I bury my face in my hands against the stair rail, sobbing.

He actually called me baby...