Chapter 4

I woke up with a pain in my stomach. Or at least I think it was my stomach. I couldn't quite place the feeling, then I realized it was a feeling of regret and embarassement. My confessions to Dean last night ran through my mind. I can only hope he doesn't remember.

"Morning Lena!" Dean smiled with a sparkle in his eye. Crap, he totally remembered I could read it all over his face.

"Shut up", I exclaimed punching him hard in the arm.

As I sat up, I looked over to see the little boy was still sleeping soundly in his bed.

"Where's Sam?", I asked rubbing my eyes.

"He went to get some breakfast and see if we can find a place for the boy to go", Dean replied.

Dean looked into my eyes for a moment too long. It sparked my curiosity.

"Hey Dean, about last night. You see not a lot of people know about my past or really anything about me. Do you think maybe we can just keep that between us?"

"No problem, but don't count on me to be your new bff in which we share a million secrets"

"Wasn't counting on it", I replied.

Suddenly I heard the little boy sitting up in his bed. Quickly I walked over to his bed and knelt down next to him. The poor kid had cuts and bruises everywhere. As he opened his eyes he looked at me with a panicked expression. He began to scoot away. "It's okay it's okay remember me, I'm the good guy?", I tried to comfort him. He then apprehensively moved closer towards me.

"What's your name buddy?". He just stared at me with no reply.

"My name's Lena and this is my friend Dean, we are here to help you"

"My name is Max", the boy mumbled.

"Hi Max, would you like for a doctor to come and make you all better?", I asked.

"I want my mommy and daddy"

My heart shattered into about a billion pieces. This poor kid was and orphan who didn't even understand why he was put into this terrible situation. Of course I knew in this situation, dad would have told me to drop the boy off somewhere and then head to the next hunt. However, my dad wasn't here and I had changed the rules for this kid.

"Max, I---uh", I couldn't finish the words. Tears filled my eyes and so I quickly turned away and brushed past Dean going out the door.

I sat on the curb outside the door taking in deep breaths. I couldn't handle this anymore. Now I know why my dad always made sure we didn't stay on the same hunt for longer than a few days. Emotional attatchment. Damn dad and his rules. And damn him even more now that I know he was right.

"Hey, Lena are you okay?", Sam asked walking over to me. I nodded keeping my face hidden. Sam didn't need to know I was crying.

"Hey did you find a place for the boy?", I heard a familiar voice ask Sam.

"Yeah, is he awake?", Sam asked.

"Yeah, why don't you go ahead and get him some food maybe it will help him set his mind straight. Hey Sam, while your at it, maybe you can be the one to go ahead and you know do the emotional stuff. Cause we all know I'm no good at that sort of thing"

"Sure thing Dean, let me just do it all", Sam sarcastically replied as he walked into the motel room. I thought I was alone when I heard the door shut behind him but then I felt someone sit down next to me.

"You okay?", Dean asked trying to mask his obviously worried tone.

"Yeah", I sniffled, "I'll be fine and don't you dare try to get me to talk about it, I hate emotional moments too"