;하나

november 6

beep beep. i was greeted by my alarm, signaling i had to start getting ready for school. i got up from my bed and went over to my brother Jisung's room. i opened his door just a little bit to find him still knocked out on his bed. he probably a very long night shift at work.

i felt bad that i couldn't help him out. i've been begging him to let me get a job but he just keeps saying the same thing;

" being the only one to work and make money for both of us is the least i can do. the least you can do, is continue on with your schooling and graduate. if you fulfill that, i'll let you get a job. "

after our parents died in a car accident from an unknown cause, we were left to live on our own. our other relatives were either in the states or we couldn't get in contact with them.

there was leftover money from their bank accounts but we chose to save it for emergencies and house bills only. jisung made a decent amount of money but i have no right to complain.

i closed his door once again and returned to my own room, grabbing my towel and uniform before heading to the bathroom.

as i was done changing, i headed out and heard feet shuffling downstairs. i was wondering who it was when i heard him talk;

" yoonie, i made breakfast. come downstairs and eat. "

i went downstairs to see jisung preparing the table. he cooked pancakes and bacon, along with a glass of orange juice to finish it.

" why did you make breakfast jisung?"
" hey, am i your older brother or what?

at this moment, i knew i was doomed.

" you haven't experienced the bitterness of this world yet. "

i didn't hear the rest of his sentence as i ran up the stairs to my bedroom and locked the door. i always dropped formalities with him as a joke but he rarely takes it as a joke so he always chases me around the house until he catches me and makes me suffer the consequences. it's the way we've been since we were little kids.

" if i were you, i would open the door. if you know what's good for you, yoon jiyoon. "

i opened the door, dodging his arms and ran downstairs, stopping at the table and finally sat down. at this point, i was going to be late for school.

i was almost done when jisung finally came downstairs. but this time, he was in his work clothes. i was confused at first but he later explained to me.

" my boss changed my shift so now i work in the morning until the store closes. i hope you're okay with it. you'll be home alone this whole week. "

" i'm fine with it jisung oppa. i can just go out to the library or something. "

" late at night? i don't think so. go straight home after school. i can't let something bad happen to you. "

with that said, he got up from the table and put his plate in the sink. he grabbed his phone and keys, said goodbye to me and left.

i checked the time and noticed i still had an hour before school started so i just decided to leave the house. i grabbed my bag, phone, and house keys from upstairs and came back down. i did the dishes for a while before locking up the house. it was a little cold outside but i didn't mind it. it was fall after all.

i didn't know where to go this early in the morning so i stopped by at the nearest cafe. there were a few people, none of who i knew. i went up to the cashier and made my order before later settling at a window seat.

there weren't much people walking on the sidewalk but there were a lot of cars on the busy street. i looked at the sky and realized why it was cold; dark rain clouds had formed above and looked like it was going to rain soon.

" a venti vanilla bean frappe for jiyoon. "

i went to the counter to grab my drink when i heard my name being called again.

" yoon jiyoon?"

i turned around to see song jihye, a classmate of mines. she sat next to me during class but i didn't really pay attention to her.

she walked towards my direction and greeted me with a smile. " it's nice seeing you here. " she took a sip of her drink before walking ahead of me to open the door.

" oh, thank you. "

we started walking to school together unexpectedly but not much was being spoken between us. we weren't friends but we definitely acknowledged each other occasionally. i felt a rain drop fall on my arm and i knew it was going to rain. it looked as if none of us brought an umbrella but it was too late to say anything as rain started pouring above our heads.

we dashed for the nearest shade observing our surroundings. i told jihye the rain will most likely not stop and that we should just run in the rain to school.

we continued on, running down the sidewalk towards school. yes it was a dangerous to run in the rain but what could we do?

school soon came into vision and we stopped at the gates, trying to catch our breath. no one was out in the front yard either because it was early or it was raining. i forgot i was with jihye when she tried to start up a conversation with me again;

" shall we head inside? "
" sure. "