;두

november 6; morning

we walked into the school hallways and yes, everyone was inside because it was raining; not surprised. there were a few groups hanging out in front of their lockers but they didn't pay attention to me- i mean us. they stared at us every now and then but i didn't care; i was used to it. i don't think jihye was though she looked uncomfortable. the whispers around us were audible to hear and i'm sure that's what made jihye uncomfortable.

" why is an average student hanging around a top rank student? "
" wow, she must have the nerves to go up to her, i could never do that. "
" song jihye walking with yoon jiyoon, a pair i never imagined. "
" daebak. "

yes im a top student; i had nothing other to do than just study and do homework.

jihye on the other hand, she was..average i guess, like what everyone said. she did often every now and then, but it was never enough to get her into the top ranks, or even the top 20. i did offer her my help, but she would always decline and she would end up suffering by herself.

after hearing all the whispers from classmates and other students, she left me without saying anything and ran to the staircase. i followed after her to make sure she wasn't going to do anything bad when i was stopped by jihoon.

" where are you going jiyoon? "
" ah, nowhere jihoon. i was about to head upstairs-"
" if you were going to chase after jihye, i suggest you don't."
" why not..?"
" she's better off by herself, i tried to stop and talk to her but she pushed me away. all i'll tell you is that she ran to the girls bathroom. let her cool off maybe. "

i wanted to run after her but jihoon was right, maybe she needed time by herself. after all, i was like her before i was in the top ranks, in fact, almost everyone who is in the top ranks was like that.

jihoon did a small smile before grabbing my wrist, bringing me downstairs to our class. it was sort of empty which was a good thing; i needed some peace and quiet.

i sat at my desk with jihoon sitting next to me. i put on my earphones and put my head on the desk, facing him. he was staring at me the whole time, but i wasn't surprised, it was a normal thing he did whenever i faced my head towards him. he then put his head on the desk and faced me. he took off one of my earphones and plugged it into his own ear and we enjoyed " 여보세요 " by nu'est together (listen to that beautiful sOnG).

" excuse me, but can you please not act so lovey dovey?"

i looked up to see nikki hwang, my best friend. i smiled at her before lifting my head up and taking out my earphone to talk to her. jihoon grabbed it and put it into his own ear, dozing off with the calm song.

" good seeing you here early for once nikki. "
" yeah yeah whatever. what the hell were you and jihoon doing? "
" there's this thing called listening to music with one another. maybe you should try it out one day. "
" i would if someone ehem jihoon would stop taking my friend every once in a while. yaaah jiyooon, hang out with me after school pleeease?? and not with lover boy jihoon. "
" i'll think about it. "
" whatever. "

more students started piling in and soon the teacher came. i yanked my earphones from jihoon's ear and grabbed my phone, stuffing it into my bag before the teacher could see it.

" park jihoon, please wake up. it is class time. "

a sleepy jihoon woke up and looked around to find the class filled. he grabbed his notebooks and i handed him a pencil because i always knew he would forget one everyday.

" thank you, love. "
" shut up and do your work, lover boy. "

skip to lunchtime

the bell for lunch rang and everyone including the teacher started leaving the class. jihye came back to class but left as soon as the bell rang so i was left to go with jihoon and nikki. we made our way out the door and headed to the cafeteria. the line was long so instead, we decided to go to a cafe nearby (yes, it's the one she went to in the morning). it was empty so we went to find a table for us 3. jihoon went to order while me and nikki talked for a bit.

" what happened to jihye? she seemed very quiet today during class? it's so unusual..."
" i don't know either. i mean me and her were just walking to class when people started whispering about our ranks. "
" ah, how she's just average and not in the top ranks like us?"
" yeah basically like that. "
" what's happening."

me and nikki looked up to see jihoon standing in front of us, holding a tray containing our food and drinks. he set the tray down on the table in front of us and came to sit next to me. " what were you guys talking about? " he seemed curious but we both knew he didn't care about the conversation i had with other people. " it's nothing jihoon, just eat your goddam food. " i was able to shut him up quickly, which gave me and nikki peace and quiet to enjoy our lunch.

we later left the cafe and started heading back to school. nikki received a text from her mom and told us she had to leave the school for a bit. we said goodbye to her and she ran ahead of both me and jihoon.

" i guess it's just us 2 yoonie. "
" you haven't used that nickname for me since middle school and jisung uses that nickname too. are you okay there? do you have a fever? do you need help? "
" i need you * insert nayana wink * "
" you know park jihoon, you make me question my friendship with you. like are we something other than friends? "
" yes "
" wait are you actually serious?? are we dating but i don't know- "
" idiot, we're best friends, that's what we are. but if you wanna date i'm single- "
" that's why i question our friendship, you're better off with jinyoung bye. "

back in class

i abandoned jihoon after what i said but he kept trying to talk to me during class. when the teacher was writing on the board, he would try to act like a puppy and cling on to me, making puppy eyes and pouting but being the best friend i am, i turned my attention to him. i whispered to him, " what do you want?" and he replied back, " your attention." i rolled my eyes and turned back to the teacher with jihoon pouting that he couldn't have my attention.

i looked behind me to see jihye deep into her notebook, doodling words that i couldn't read. it seemed to be in another language. she didn't take notes on anything during the lesson but instead, drew and wrote words that i did not know. she must've noticed that i was staring because she closed her notebook quite loudly and it caught everyone's attention.

" is there something wrong, class vice president? (idrk if they actually exist but who cares lol)"

" oh, nothing teacher. you may carry on with the lesson."

" thank you vice president. "

that was so embarrassing, i never encountered something like this but jihye made me experience it, even jihoon asked what was wrong but i let it off as nothing. he shrugged and turned back to the teacher. i made eye contact with jihye but i couldn't seem to read what was going on. it was a mixture of sadness and frustration.

i wish i could tell her that's how i felt before i became this type of person.

guess who doesn't know how to balance out her chapters, im such a disappointment