sun

"i was the sun."

today, i didn't go to school.

i couldn't get guanlin's voice out of my head the entire night. the voice that once told me i was beautiful, now telling me to stop going to school, the only place where i could see him.

i laid on my bed, extended my arms and legs and let out a screech as i stretched. the warm rays of sunlight shone into the windows, and made their way onto my skin.

i've never skipped school before. the only time i would allow myself to miss out on lessons was the rare occasion of me getting sick.

i know, even if i skip school and the teacher has to call up the student's parents to ask for a reason why they aren't attending school, they wouldn't be able to reach anyone.

i just didn't want to waste the money my parents left behind for me to pay for my school fees. i don't think i would be able to live with the guilt, and i don't think i would ever want to live with that guilt, either.

but, right now, i'm doing the exact same thing i told myself not to do ever since my parents passed.

surprisingly, i didn't feel any sort of guilt clawing menacingly at my heart, telling me to get my ass out of bed and run to school in my pyjamas.

i decided that my hunger overpowered my reluctance to climb out of my bed, and finally managed to drag my body off the comfortable mattress, going into the kitchen and making myself breakfast.

i didn't have much stuff in the fridge, partially because i don't usually make my own food and also partially because i'm kind of.. broke.

i took out two eggs to make scrambled eggs, which was basically the only thing i knew how to cook, apart from instant ramen.

adding a pinch of salt to the eggs, i stabbed a metal fork inside the yellow eggs and shoved the food into my mouth.

after finishing the last piece of scrambled egg, a 'ding!' came from my phone, almost at the same time i set down my fork on the oil-glazed plate.

my eyebrows automatically furrow, confusion washed over my facial features.

why did guanlin send me a message?

guanlin:

you really didn't come to school today

guanlin:

i'm sorry, heeun

you:

sorry? sorry for what?

guanlin:

i know i hurt you

guanlin:

i know you probably hate me so much

guanlin:

i hate myself too, haha

you:

what are you talking about? i don't hate you

you:

jiyeon told you to do it, didn't she?

guanlin:

no

guanlin:

no, she didn't

you:

she didn't?

you:

why did you do it, then?

guanlin:

jiyeon told me that you broke your promise to her

guanlin:

i'm not sure what she meant,

guanlin:

but she was mad, and said that if i ever speak a word to you again, she'll hurt you

you:

guanlin

you:

she already did

guanlin:

what?

guanlin:

what the fuck?

third person pov •

the boy's usually calm gaze was now replaced with one filled with anger, so much anger that the students around him gave each other terrified glances.

his dark eyes followed jiyeon's figure as she walked over to the table he was currently sitting at. she gave him a smile with feigned innocence, making the boy's rage grow even more.

"why do you look so mad? did something happen?" jiyeon sat down on the bench, right next to guanlin. he had to suppress the urge to move away.

"yeah, something happened. remember when you told me that heeun broke her promise?" he spoke with gritted teeth, not even bothering to spare the girl a glance.

jiyeon looked up at him, confused, and warily replied, "uh huh..? what about it?"

"you broke your promise, too, didn't you?" the boy clenched his jaw and forced himself to look at the girl, who was slightly trembling at his glare.

"w-what are you talking about? what promise?" stuttering, she shifted further away from guanlin, making it even more obvious that she was telling a lie.

"you promised that you wouldn't hurt heeun as long as i stopped talking to her. i haven't spoken a word to her for two months, but why did you hurt her?"

jiyeon froze, her thoughts isolated her from reality. honestly, she didn't want to return to that reality.

the visions of her hitting heeun, slapping her across the face, pulling her hair, scratching her, played in jiyeon's head.

she pleaded for it to stop, and it did. it stopped.

she opened her eyes, blinked a few times, and mustered up the courage to form a response to guanlin's question.

"because all along, i always got what i wanted. if i asked for something money could buy, i would get it without question." jiyeon paused for a while, glancing up at guanlin before continuing.

"but, looks like i forgot money can't buy love." she chuckled dryly, waiting for guanlin to show even just a little bit of sympathy towards her.

"you know, my dad always told me to be nice to girls," he stood up, giving jiyeon a look, "but you're a fucking bitch, i hope you realise that."

with that, the school bell rang, signalling the end of lunch break. guanlin didn't bother to check on jiyeon's reaction to his sudden outburst, and instead, simply walked back to class for the next lesson.

(a/n: omg yall music bank in singapore is in 8 days i'm finally gonna see bangtan again after almost 3 years im sobbing)