Chapter 6

yes that image is my own art. any pics in the future will probably be my own, check out my deviantart/tumblr/reddit for more

A/N: Heeeeey, look who FINALLY updated! Sorry that it's been forever. This chapter isn't as long as I'd like, but whatever. I figured I've kept you all waiting long enough. Since it took like 3 years, I'll keep this as brief as I can. For those reading this on Wattpad, I'd recommend checking out the note I left on the last chapter. If you're reading this somewhere else (or can't be bothered to check it), then I'll summarize what it was about. Basically I did some minor edits on past chapters, but only on Wattpad, because it's much easier to edit. I might edit other versions one day, but it isn't a priority right now. You have no idea the amount of typos that are on this fic. Like, holy shit, there are a lot. I sincerely apologize to everyone who had/has to suffer through reading that. However, that shouldn't be a problem for future chapters now that I have a Chromebook. Also, I thought about rewriting this story but decided against it. I may have started writing this when I was still a freshmen in high school, but it isn't nearly cringy enough to warrant a full rewrite. Are there parts of the plot that I'm not fully happy with? Yeah, not gonna lie, there's quite a few, but I can work with it. Last thing of note, I'm starting a new Undertale story completely unrelated to this one that mainly focuses on souls, magic, life after "The End", and W.D. Gaster. I'll update everyone of the details of it whenever that's finished (possibly on my Tumblr or Deviantart because it'll be illustrated in some way). Oh, and yes, updates will continue to be agonizingly slow. Until then, enjoy reading this new chapter!

"Don't you have anything better to do?" 

Asriel's last words had rung through Frisk's mind ever since she left the mountain. No matter how much she tried to move on from them, the words continued to persist in her mind.

She clutched the golden heart locket around her neck. Not a day went by when she wasn't wearing it. If either of her adopted parents noticed, they hadn't asked about it. Out of respect or cowardice, she didn't know. That was fine, because she wasn't sure she wanted to answer "why" anyway. 

She thought back to her journey through the Underground. There had been a time when she would continue to reset solely in a vain attempt to save Asriel. Eventually, she had been forced to realize it was a lost cause. Despite both of their reluctance to let go, she couldn't relive the same moments forever. It wasn't fair to everyone else. 

But, still, the feeling lingered. Then she came to a realization. 

She opened the locket. The words "Best Friends Forever" were carved into them. 

She remembered a picture of a happy family, all of them smiling. She remembered Toriel standing among the bed of golden flowers where the first fallen child was buried, Asgore refusing to meet her face, and Asriel not ready to let go. 

("Chara" stood before her, ready to cast the world into the abyss once more. 

"You are wracked with a perverted sentimentality." 

As if she was the only one.)

Frisk hoisted her backpack in a more comfortable position and took a step forward. Not a moment later, she felt drops of water all onto her skin. It was beginning to rain. Sighing, she reached into her pocket and drew out her phone. 

. . . 

"whelp, here we are," Sans spoke once the two of them had reached the mountain. He glanced back at her when she didn't respond. 

"you know. . . you don't have to do this."

A memory of a sad child all alone with no friends or family to call their own flashed into her mind. Frisk clutched the umbrella in her hand tighter. "Yes I do."