Still Fourteen

The dawn has not broken as I lie in the Fire Nation, thinking of all I had to give up in order the save the world.

I don't regret it, but can not help being selfish nonetheless.

It was astounding to think that in the course of a year we had managed to restore balance to the four elements. In that year alone Aang, my brother, and I were forced to become adults.

As silly as it may sound, it was strange realizing that I was still fourteen.

Before this, it was unheard of that a fourteen year old had flown across the world on a flying bison, thought to be extinct, with the Avatar who was also thought to be dead. It was unheard of that a fourteen year old had to cope with the fact that everyone was depending on her. It was unheard of that a fourteen year old had fallen in love.

Maybe I was too dramatic. Or in shock.

Either way, there was nothing left to distract me from the overwhelming feelings lingering.

Now all I could do was look at the red decorated room, so warm and regal, and dwell on the feeling of the world still settled in the pit of my stomach.

The dark head rustled from next to me, his chest slowly rising and falling, hinting that he was still fast asleep. His hand lay gingerly over the wound on his toned, pale chest.

I tried to observe everything about him. The way his fringe rested on his forehead. How his angular face could be so intimidating, but looked so peaceful now. Even how the small breaths escaped his parted lips.

I needed to stop.

I was supposed to be with Aang. That's what everyone wanted. What he wanted.

Despite that, I couldn't help but wish I didn't have to be with Aang now. Yes, I loved him, but more as a little brother and best friend. Although he was the Avatar and probably the most powerful bender in the world, there was no chemistry. Not to mention, Aang would often times annoy me to no bounds.

The whole 'always do the right thing' and judgmental trait couldn't be ignored.

The day I had sought revenge on the man who killed my mother, Aang belittled me more than ever. Although he was ultimately correct as usual, at that moment I needed someone who understood my rage, and didn't try to dissuade me. Someone who would let me discover the fruitlessness of my misplaced vengeance for myself. Someone like Zuko.

"Katara," a tired voice saved me from my thoughts,"Why are you here?"

His voice was slightly raspy as he turned his face towards me, his hair covering his scar.

"Um, I guess I was just worried. I couldn't bring myself to leave you." I offered, trying to hide the hurt from my tone.

He sat up cautiously, favoring his injury and propping his right arm on a red pillow.

"It's all over isn't it?" His lips sported a wane smile.

Tears filled my cerulean eyes, absorbing his words. It really was over. While I had been wallowing in self pity before, I had completely neglected the notion that I could finally resume the life I had left behind.

Images of my father and Gran Gran clad in Southern Watertribe robes and parkas filled my head. Home was so close.

"It really is."