Conflicted

My uncle didn't have to tell me that I should apologize to Katara. I felt bad enough about the unjust outburst, but knowing how it effected her unsettled me further. By now I was aware of how her rage was only a thin mask for her melancholy and hurt.

Sometimes I forgot how alike we really were. Both so quick to anger, but passionate all the same. Not to mention, the shared loss of our mothers.

How could people who were so alike get under each others skin so much?

"You're just gonna make her feel worse Zuko. Leave her be." Sokka's tone was gentle, but there was protectiveness in the way he narrowed his blue eyes as he blocked me from exiting the dining chamber.

I clenched my jaw, turning to face him.

He, like his sister, had a narrow frame with wiry limbs whereas I was much broader and muscular.

Nonetheless, his expression remained stoic.

"Maybe I should say something to her?" The Avatar quipped in his usual joyful manner.

"Stop trying to make peace, Avatar. Some things can be resolved without you making an appearance." I said bitterly.

"Back off Zuko." Aang attempted to sound intimidating.

"Twinkle Toes, don't get in his way when he's obviously in a bad mood."

"I am not in a bad mood!"

"I beg to differ." Sokka mumbled.

"You all are still in the process of leading the world to balance, yet you can't even find it within yourselves." Iroh's voice sounded poetically from the table, sipping his tea.

Everyone else had stood up, fists clenched, muscles tensed, ready to pounce at any moment.

"Now's not the time for your antics Uncle." I grasped my hair in exasperation.

He stood up, calm as ever, and floated over to the doors where Katara exited moments ago.

Everyone turned to face him expectantly.

"There is much tension between you and The Avatar. Why is that?" He shifted his gaze between me and the bald monk.

No one answered for a long time. This moment reminded me of when I was young and my mother would scold me and Azula for fighting.

"I'm just tired and my burn hurts. Besides, now I have to decide what to do with my father and sister." I admitted, not daring to meet Uncle Iroh's gaze. The aching wound was a small fib, but the other issue was sincere.

At that everyone took an intake of breath.

Uncle was too wise for his own good.

"Go see Katara, she'll heal you." Sokka sighed, permitting me to make amends with his younger sister.

I nodded my thanks, wishing everyone goodnight.

I was too stubborn to thank Iroh, which I instantly regretted after leaving.

Why did I make everything so difficult when things were going so well?

Of course, I'd never admit that to any of them. The only person who'd understand was Katara, and she would probably ignore me.

If only she knew how much I cared for her.