Truth Hurts

Apparently the trip here was spur of the moment and neither my father or brother knew of his visit.

Part of me was curious why he didn't just send a letter requesting a healer to sail to the Fire Nation, but I didn't question it because I was simply elated that he was here.

Sokka seemed pleased to see him, and my father arranged quarters in the palace where he would lodge for the short time he was here.

Sokka, Ember, Zuko, and I were now chatting lightly in the dining hall which had been deserted after the meal, leaving the four of us.

And everything was going well until....

"Zuko, so you've met Katara's daughter! Isn't she the cutest little-" Sokka mused nonchalantly as he bent down to stroke Ember's silky head.

My eyes went wide as Zuko's nostrils flared before whipping his head towards me.

"Katara's what?!"

"Oh, you didn't know...." Soka's voice was drowned out by Zuko.

"I knew she looked too much like you. Why didn't you tell me you were married?" Zuko's voice elevated.

"Zuko, I'm not married." Once again his voice rang superior, blocking mine out.

"And who are you married to anyways? She looked like Fire Nation. Is she?" He gestured wildly with his hands.

In the midst of our confrontation Sokka had managed to escape, leaving Ember staring up at us with confusion laced in her round eyes.

Irritation was now stirring in the pit of stomach as he was still rambling on, not letting me get a word in edgewise.

"Would you just listen?!" My voice came out strong and annoyed to my satisfaction.

At my outburst he finally went quiet which only left the occasional rustle of footsteps in the corridors.

"I shouldn't have lied to you, I'm sorry. I just panicked at the port and before I knew it, the words just came out." I started.

"Why were you so panicked? Because if it was due to not inviting me to your wedding, I would never hold that grudge." His voice was soft as my daughter now set herself down on the floor, entertaining herself.

"Zuko, the thing is I'm not married. When you arrived so suddenly I had no time to prepare myself to tell you because I didn't need your pity." I admitted, suddenly finding my boots very intriguing.

"Why would I pity you? The fact that you're raising a child at seventeen is to be respected."

"Yes, but I am ashamed of myself for acting like that when I was only fourteen. How could I be so stupid and completely disregard the fact that something like this would happen-"

"She's two?" He bent down to my daughter's height, picking her up and examining her.

Why did my heart have to jump when I saw how good he was with kids?

"Ye-" He cut me off once again.

"She doesn't happen to be the Avatar's daughter?" He returned his focus towards me.

"No, no. Ember's not." I shook my head and crossed my arms, finally feeling at ease.

"Ember.... So she's Fire Nation?"

I sighed at his realization. For Zuko, this was very slow compared to his usual observant nature and awareness.

"Seriously?" I said with attitude, shooting him a lopsided smirk.

He blushed, an embarrassed smile gracing his features.

"Well, I didn't want to make any assumptions." He scratched his neck, something he would always resort to when feeling awkward.

A silence submerged the three of us as he unknowingly bounced our daughter on his hip. My eyes frantically searched the ice themed hall for anything at all. Meanwhile Zuko attempted to catch my wild gaze.

"Katara." He broke the silence with the same unsure voice that ingrained itself into my head from years ago. The boy I used to know who really was not so different than the man standing in front of me. Did I still look like a little girl to him? The girl with the sharp tongue and naïve hopes.

"This may sound crazy, but is she mine?"

Time stopped. My throat convulsed as I swallowed what felt like a stone. He knew.

IM SORRY I TOOK SO LONG TO UPDATE. PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT. LOVE YALL!!!!