Amber Eyes

Katara POV

••

I had cooled down, and was ashamed of the way I had acted at the dinner, despite Zuko also having behaved in the same manner.

Now I was in my wrappings and my dark brown curls, cascaded down my back, free of any accessories.

It was until later that I heard a soft knock at the door. Expecting Aang or my brother, I sighed and got up to open it.

"Zuko." My expression instantly softened even though my intentions were to be mad.

He gave me his usual lopsided grin that didn't quite reach his eyes, but still made them crinkle. His eyes— such a brilliant color. Amber is the adjective I would use to describe them. Amber with threads of gold.

"Katara, I'm so sorry. I can be..so..so stupid sometimes. So stupid and angry, and I don't even know why." His voice was small and frustrated, shocking me with the sudden apology.

Eyebrows furrowed, he awaited a response. How could someone with so much anger and power look so small and fragile. His eyes had grown wide and kind; the ones I've gotten to know. Not the cruel, ambitious ones that followed us all over the world in vain attempts to capture us.

"That's okay, I was way out of line too. I know how stressful this must be for you with the whole coronation thing and all." I self consciously wrapped my arms around my almost bare body.

Following my arms, he cheeks flushed at the sight too.

"I'm sorry if this is a bad time." He let out an awkward chuckle.

I didn't respond, but instead looked up to meet his gaze. Right now all I wanted to do was rake my hands through his thick hair, pressing our bodies together, and kiss him.

"You're blushing." He pointed out, lifting his chin and smirking.

Once again, my blood boiled in irritation. I could feel my eyes narrow at his remark and my arms raise to my hips.

"Maybe because I'm practically naked."

He laughed, his voice deep,"Please Katara, I've seen you in that before."

His eyes quickly scanned over my body, sending a wave of embarrassment over me.

"Why are you so confusing?" I asked bossily.

"How am I confusing?"

"Three seconds ago you were pointing out that this may not be a good time!"

"Well, I was just being polite."

"You should try that more often then." I retorted sharply, instantly proud of my quick wit.

He tried and failed to bite back a smile, attempting to cover it up by brushing the bangs from his forehead.

"You're so hard to talk to, you know?"

"I'm hard to talk to." I pressed my palm to my breast, trying disguise my excitement with a look of shock and defiance.

"Yes, you can be very hard to like Katara." He flirted, his grin wider than ever.

I bit my lower lip, contemplating if now was the time to kiss him.

"Likewise." I said instead.

"Yeah, sometimes it's hard to like me too." He replied, more seriously now.

I've missed my chance.