6. Littered Laundry

I quickly awoke to another box of cards being thrown at my face. Scrunching up my expression, I looked down at my roommate. They were standing next to the bunk bed, and had a mischievous look on her face. She then hissed at me and ran out of the Cabin.

Slightly puzzled, I hopped off of the top bunk. As my feet hit the cold wooden floor I shook my head. On the other side of the room my navy blue bag sat. I approached it slowly, and took out my change of uniform. My current outfit had sand and dust coating it in a thin musk. As soon as I changed, I folded my dirty uniform and placed it in my arms. I then silently strode out of my cabin.

On the outside the sun had just begun to rise. I glanced around for a moment, before realizing the laundry room was likely in the main compound. I approached the door and used my I.D. Card to open the door. There was a faded and torn map nailed on the wall next to the door, so I glanced at it. The laundry room was located on the second floor, so I headed to the marked set of stairs. One led to the basement, the other to the second floor. I headed up to the second floor and was met with a pitch black hallway.

The windows had been boarded up to avoid any escapes. The hallway stretched for an unknown length, but I could faintly notice the outline of door frames. I strode forward until I came to a open door, and slowly entered. A small nightlight was glowing in the corner, and I noticed the washing and drying machine.

Next to them, a large heap of clothing laid in a hamper. When I checked the machines they were both empty, so I inserted my uniform and walked over to the night light. I had brought my pamphlet with me, and I began to re-read in while waiting. I memorized the rules incase I had to prove a guard wrong on something, and turned back to Rule #40.

I had begun to suspect that the mystery meat I had found in the storage room was in the meals. Was it some form of sick experiment? Or was the Facility excessively cheap that they used spoiled goods?

Shaking my head, I moved my uniform from the washer to the dryer and turned back to the pamphlet. Somehow, a mouse was now resting on it. Quickly grabbing it, I raised it up to the light. It had dark hazel eyes and sandy fur. I looked at it for a moment before setting it in the clothing hamper. It appeared startled for a moment, then burrowed into the clothing.

Whoever dug into that hamper next would certainly have a scare.

Grinning I turned back to my pamphlet and sat down. The bold name of the Facility seemed to glimmer strangely in the dim light, and reflected a sort of mocking ambiance.

I stood up and grabbed some of the cleaning bleach they dumbly kept available. I had brought my water bottle with me, and filled it up.
Hey, you never know when you might need it.

As soon as my clothes were dry, I took them from the dryer and returned to my cabin. On my way I saw several guards patrolling the compound. I was forced to sneak back, to avoid being caught with my new-found weapon. Once I had safely returned I looked around the inside of the cabins room.

Underneath the opposite bunk bed, one of the planks was loose. Lifting it up, I gazed inside. There was a sealed envelope inside. Curious, I began to reach for it before I heard banging at the door. Quickly sneaking my bottle in, I returned the plank to its position and stood up.