Think Fast

~ Cari ~

"Are we ready to go?" I asked, packing the last of Kash's baby bag.

"Yeah, Knight wants to know where's her doll."

"She's most likely about to be too busy for it but if it's not in the play room or her room, I don't know where it could be." I shrugged.

Today was the twins birthday and the party is at the Chuck E. Cheese in Hayward, which is twenty minutes away.

I heard something drop and a small voice say oops, and stepped into the hallway.

"Kannon," I sighed. "This is why we tell y'all to not bring juice upstairs."

"Shit," Kelly looked at the huge red stain in the beige carpet.

"Whatever, take them now so they're not late and I'll meet y'all there after I clean this up."

"Alright, Oubre train leaving the station in 10... 9," Kelly counted down and little bodies started running around like ants.

I mixed together a few cleaning solutions in a bucket with water and scrubbed the stain up as I heard the front door close.

I washed my hands and took Kash's baby bag and saw Knight's doll in the living room, grabbing that too and went and put them in the car.

I went back in the house, cause I knew by the time we'd get back it'd be night, and turned on the kitchen light and upstairs to turn on the hallway light.

I went back in my bedroom to make sure nothing was out of place and noticed something on the bed, and called Kelly's mom.

"Mom, I'm on my way but Kelly left his phone somehow. I'm gonna put it in the bedside table drawer."

"Alright I'll tell him as soon as he gets here."

I hung up and hesitated, staring at it like it was an exotic animal before finally deciding to open it.

I tapped in my birthday and the phone vibrated to let me know the passcode was incorrect.

I tried Karma's, first born and Kannon's, first son and neither of those worked either.

I tried Kash's birthday and the phone zoomed to the home screen and I noticed it was a message from our service provider but clearly the number was saved as the contact name because our service provider wouldn't say

:So when's the next time I'll see you?

I closed my eyes, as my heart began to race and knew what I was about to do but had to be careful about what I said.

:Now

: Really?👀 Cari must not be about to come back for a while.

I fumed at the fact this bitch knew my name and wanted to cuss her out but remembered I had to keep my composure.

:Yup. You remember where I stay?

I took a wild guess that maybe she'd been here and saw the chat bubble come up but go back down, making me think I might've gave it away it wasn't him.