Chapter 38: Surprised

Keith's POV

"Gusto mo bang samahan kita?" My wife asked while she was fixing my necktie.

I shook my head and answered, "No need, hon. You have done a lot already. Kaya ko na to. Magpapaalam lang naman ako sa kanila for the last time."

Today was my last day in the office. Ngayon na kasi ipapakilala ang papalit sa akin, and I wanted to meet her. Gusto ko siyang makausap tungkol sa mga tao ko.

"Mahal kita, Keith."

I smiled at my wife. Sometimes she says sweet things unexpectedly. Kaya mahal ko siya because she can easily make my heart flatter.

"I love you more," I answered and kissed her lips.

"I need to go."

Tumango siya. "Okay, mag-ingat ka. Balitaan mo nalang ako kung sino yung papalit sayo."

"Will do."

Kinuha ko na ang gamit ko and headed downstairs to go outside and ride in my car.

Nandito na kami ulit nakatira sa bahay namin. We went home last week, and the kids were so happy.

The house felt like home again just by having them with me here.

I drove to the company. Few minutes later, I arrived in the building and as I walked inside, everyone was smiling at me. I couldn't help but to laugh deep inside because maybe, this was their way of showing their goodbyes. Alam kong alam na nila na ngayon na ipapakilala ang bagong boss nila na ipapalit sa akin.

"Good morning, sir," bati ng secretary ko as soon as I reached the floor where the conference room was.

"Good morning. Is everybody here?"

"Yes, sir."

I nodded and opened the door. Everyone's eyes locked on mine. Hinintay nila akong makaupo bago sila nagsalita.

"Mr Keith Edison, thank you for coming today and I hope you will be happy of whom we picked."

"I am sure you picked someone trustworthy," I said to Mr Reyes.

Mr Reyes just smiled and we all settled down on our respective chairs when someone spoke behind me.

"I believe that chair doesn't belong to you anymore."

I recognized that voice. Humarap ako to confirm who it was.

"Lorraine?" My brows furrowed. Why is she here?

"Miss me?" She asked smirking.

"Why are you here? I believe you are not part of this unless you—" My words left hanging when I realized something. "Are you—?" I could not finish what I wanted to ask because I was surprised.

She laughed. "Whatever that question is, I am sure that 'yes' is the answer," she answered me.

"You bought my share??"

She grabbed a chair next to me, and she sat on it. She put her purse down on the table and crossed her legs and arms.

"Nope. I didn't buy yours or anybody's share. I didn't spend even a penny."

I got confused at what she said.

Alam ko na hindi siya sasagot sa katanungan sa isip ko, so I looked at my colleagues.

"She will be your substitute."

What?

"A substitute? Not a replacement?" Nagtatakang tanong ko.