Chapter Five

I sit on my bed impatiently waiting for Mariana. I can feel my eyes closing, but no I won't sleep. I need to have this talk with her.

I hear the sound of keys opening the door and I sigh. She's here.

"You are still up," she said with a smile.

"No, I'm asleep, dreaming about seeing you walk through the door with a smile."

She laughs and sits before asking about what happened.

"What happened is none of your business. Your business is to take me out of this shit. I'm done playing games, dear best friend."

"What happened?"

"Mariana, please for crying out loud, stop this game. They both don't deserve this," I said while walking toward her.

"They wouldn't find out. Don't ask me to choose because I can't and won't. I love Eben and I'm doing Richard a favour by not breaking his heart. You should've looked at the guy who begged me to give him a chance. Besides he's rich and is always there and available whenever Eben ignores and rejects me sometimes."

"Goodness!!! What do you need? Your family has it all. You cannot do this to Richard. He's a good, kindhearted and a handsome young man. Don't take his love for granted. He needs someone who will love and cherish him." I said with so much anger.

Mariana stares at me for a while before saying, "Roselyn, you have fallen in love with him, right? Is that what this is all about? Answer me!!! Isn't it? Am I correct?"

"For the love of God, stop asking such a stupid question and think about what I'm telling you. They both don't deserve this."

"You won't betray me, right?"

"You know I won't," I said.

"Thank you. Just give me some time, I'll clear things up," she tiredly said. I nod at her before entering my bedroom.

I know I want her to stop her game but I can't stop thinking about Richard and how he's going to get hurt. It's obvious Mariana isn't going to choose him.

She loves Eben. And breaking up with him will be like ripping her heart out. She will never let go of him.

"Still thinking about the whole mess I have brought us in? Honestly speaking, I don't regret it," She whispered with a smile.

"I feel like hitting you right now. I'm tired and I want to sleep."

"You didn't tell me what happened between you two."

"What do you think could possibly happen between us? We were just talking...most of the things we talked about was about you."

What happened is going to be my secret... Our secret.

"He's so in love with me. I wish I could love him back."

"Yes, he's so much in love with you," I said with my eyes fixed on the wall.

"If i didn't know you and heard you saying that, I would think you like him."

I nervously laugh.

"Like? Oh no."

She eyes me and yawns...

"I'm off to sleep. Pray before you sleep and I wish you thousands of mosquito bites."

I laugh as she walks out of my bedroom. She's going to get those bites.

One...

Two...

Three...

She comes back to my room with an angry face. Who's she angry at?

"What the hell?! I left my windows open, before going out."

"Really?!" I pretend.

She screams before going back to her room.

                            ****
I wake up to the sound of my ringing tone. I wish I could throw it against the wall.

Who's calling at this time of the night?

I am about to put it on silence when I all of a sudden stare at the screen.

He's calling. Richard is calling me.

"Hello," I answered. My voice shaking. Am I dreaming or he's actually calling?

"Roselyn."

"Yes, what do you want?"

"Take it easy dear. Sorry for waking you up. Were you sleeping?"

"Can you be any more annoying? No, I was walking on the moon. What were you saying sorry to, if you didn't think I'm human enough to be sleeping at this hour?"

He chuckles and clears his throat.

"I thought you were the quiet one. You sure don't sound like one right now. We just went out and you sounded and looked like those sweet Church girls. What happened...?"

"Stop teasing me," I snapped.

"I'm not teasing you. You actually did..."

"OK, fine. Why did you call me? Is Mariana's line not going through?"

"No, I called to hear your voice. I was thinking about you."

Heat all of a sudden creeps though my body...especially my face.

"Huh! And so you decide to wake me up, because you can't sleep? That's the most selfish lie I have ever heard."

He laughs. And the line suddenly goes dead, I almost thought he had cut the line.

"What are your plans for tomorrow?"

"We don't have lectures until ten. And we are not coming back until nine in the evening."

"That sounds tiring. OK, sweet dreams."

"Sure, same to you."

He hangs up and I sit staring at the screen.

That was weird. He didn't even ask of Mariana. Or maybe they just finished talking.

                                ***
It's morning and I can hear Mariana already awake. Just two more minutes...I keep telling myself.

I get up to freshen up.

"Hey sleeping beauty. How was your night? " she said while pushing the bread into her mouth.

"Not so bad. Yours?"

"Same."

She smiles at me and I eye her.

I join her and after some few minutes, the bell rings and I know it's Eben. Mariana goes to open the door for him.

It's been almost two minutes since he entered, and he has not utter a word yet. That doesn't sound like Eben.

I turn to see Richard hugging Mariana. I open my eyes as I see him smiling at me.

Why is he here this early morning?

"I asked him to pick us to school. My car has still not been fixed."

When did her car break down?

"I'll go inside. I think I left the tap on."

Mariana quickly leaves and Richard sits staring at me. I suddenly feel shy and he smirks.

"You sounded more confident on the phone last night. And what? You go back to yourself when we meet face to face. Or it's the other way round."

"I'll also go to my room and dress up."

He takes a slow glance over my body and I remember I'm wearing nothing but a T-shirt. He swallows and I see his Adam's apple moving.

His eyes settles on my face and I lick my lower lip. For a moment, I almost forgot she's my best friend's other boyfriend.

For a moment, I almost forgot he loves no one but my best friend.

We both keep staring into each other's face.

"What's happening here?"

I jump as I hear Mariana asking us both.

                   ***
Thanks for reading, voting and commenting