1: Stay on Your Feet

The white caps roll over the water eastward which usually means that we will get the warm winds from mainlalnd Finland. Small fishing boats and Cargo ships of other kinds pass against the waves. I stand on the end of a cliff facing the familiar ocean which always captivates me with beauty or curiosity I'm not quite sure, maybe a bit of both.

The thing is, no one knows I come here, to sit along the base of a tree, which grew crooked from the moment it sprouted until now creating a pleasant place to perch over the cliff on a long way down.

The sun rests upon the horizon, they will be expecting dinner soon, so I know I cannot stay as long as I hope. My moves are clean and quick as I push myself off the cliff's edge and into the cringing cold water.

To most this move might be agonizing, perhaps even life threatening but I practice so often the shock is second nature, comforting even, the water envelopping and closing in around me the curent taking control.

Naturally the tide brings me back to shore and I move towards the Pit.

Here we are filled with people of all kinds and all ages, we are a group of delinquent children who cannot find a place among normal society. Most of us have lost our parents one way or another or either left their home country and somehow found themselves here, of course every story is different, but when we live together, that we have in common. Every person who has floated in has been approved by our group to become one of our own, we live like a pack, always.

From the outside the Pit is simply an abandoned house in the middle of an empty forest that people barely have the nerve to enter.

Bjorn walks around my back to the huge fire pit releasing a sack off goods over the table between us. For some reason he seems to hide his left side from me.

"I'm really feeling it today Bjorn, what happened did you get chewed out there?" He manages a quick glace in  a matter of seconds before ignoring me.

"I got enough of a meal for all of us." I look down and take a closer look at the sandwiches and drinks he stole. Some of the guys throw the food they have stolen throughout the day into the pile where we will divide it equally.

"Great, call them in." I signal and dismiss him from the room.

Soon I hear the twelve other voices enter pushing up the cloth separating our house from the inside, gather around the wooden table.

"Hands!" upon my command there fingers are all held in rows so I check for dirt.

By the looks of it they are all clean enough to eat so we sit down and feast.

Conversations fly around the room but I am simply not feeling it today, something feels odd, the lump in my stomach says so.

I grab my two sandwiches and a bottle of pop leaving the head of the table. I can hear Bjorn follow behind me.

"Freja! Is something wrong?" He takes my shoulder but I shrug him off I hate being touched.

"Nothing is wrong, please return to the table." I nod and send him back and watch until I know he has entered and isn't following me.

I move alone now that the sun has fallen down, rushing between the trees, sometimes if I get enough of a rhythm going I can hear the trees whisp past me.

I climb uphill until I reach the highest point I can find overlooking Stockholm.

Beautiful city, too bad we don't fit in. From the highest point I sit at, I can see the lights luminate the sky and the people the size of a water droplet crawl along the roads between the blocky rows of houses which look flat at my angle.

I open my sandwich from the wrap and eat it as fast as I can, being the first meal I've eaten today nothing goes to waste.

I lick my fingers and look off into the distance were my tree sits.

Someone stands at my tree, they stand strong holding up a single arm.

Left arm.

I swallow the next bite hard. There are more than just my group of people in the forest, I know I have heard stories of at least three other groups migrating just like we do, but we never speak to each other. More like we invade and take food or anything we can use for ourselves.

I fear we are in danger of loosing our Pit. It's not the first time it happened. Our last one was burt to the ground by a bunch if barbaric teens older than us. I don't plan to let that happen again.

I stand to my feet pounding my fist into the air. The moment I do, the mysterious man lowers his arms and hides back within the trees.

Too late.

I snab one more bite of my sandwich before shoving whatever is left into my back pocket and bolt back to the Pit.

By the time I return my brothers are already flinging their fists full force to defend what is ours.

I cannot see who fights us, they wear black masks covering their identity. This blank face is enought to send chills up my body. I continue fighting even though I know we are out numbered and merely out of luck.

I take a hot stick hanging out the fire and swing it around burning the people who try to hit me. Behind me I see Bjorn get punched so hard he falls to the ground.

"Bjorn!" My voice shouts calling his name. Any sort of distraction can risk your life. I take a strike to the face landing on my knees and collapsing to the ground.

The view from the ground I see the majority of my group has also fallen, Bjorn and I are the only ones who remain.

Within me, I cannot find the strength to get back up, painfully I have to watch Bjorn get struck to the ground and beat the life nearly out of him.

I would close my eyes but I fear they may not open again if I do.

"What should we do with her?"I hear one guy speak. "finish it?"

"No, take her with us."

My legs are then picked up and dragged until someone lifts my core and slings me over their shoulder, i fear I have lost everything I know.