Chapter 29 - Flags and Fears

The next day brought with it two things: the first round of capture the flag matches, and the group draw for the solo category. Codi wasn't sure which one she wanted to get over with first. Despite the wave of confidence that their opening onslaught had instilled, she still retained enough sense to stay wary. An unlucky group draw and she could be fighting to stay in the contest before she even reached the knockout stage.

To her annoyance a morning announcement told them that the group draw wouldn't appear until after the day's flag matches. That meant more tension, more apprehension, and distraction. She threw herself into the pre-match drills, trying to focus her mind on the coming clash and away from what might be waiting for her on the other side. Despite their upturn in form the flag discipline was the only one where Battlecast were not favoured to win, so they would need every scrap of concentration and determination they could muster.

They'd managed to pull two teams into the top rankings, but only eighth and tenth. The number one seed belonged to the defending champions from Atlantic, the one victory their overseas rivals had managed to snatch in last year's contest. Codi had seen them in action and knew they deserved their reputation. An unchanged, well trained and dangerous line-up presented a formidable barrier to Battlecast's hopes of a treble.

It would be sometime until they needed to pass that test, however.

After suiting up Codi led her team through the Arena's halls with Thradd Winters following behind. She clenched and unclenched her fists as she walked, breathing steadily in and out, centring her mind on the game plan. Get Leela to the enemy flag, and back again.

An attendant halted them at the door of the arena and the familiar dull roar of the crowds seeped through the thick plates. She dimly heard the voice of the announcer, muffled by distance and steel as he introduced the first team. The noise of the spectators swelled approvingly.

Then the attendant stepped aside with a smile and the huge doors slid soundlessly open, letting the full atmosphere of the Arena wash out into the corridors in a raging torrent of energy. Codi savoured it for a second, then squared her shoulders and led the way into the light.

"And their opponents, representing Battlecast Academy..."

She stepped out first.

"Codi James!"

And one by one the others followed, each of them adding to the cacophonous roar of the crowds.

"Ripple Thawborn ...Gareth Hosk ... Cardle North ... and Leela Crockett!"

They stepped into the new arena construct for their opening match and Codi inhaled deeply, feeling the welcome surge of energy as she drank in the cheers. A huge metallic bowl opened out in front of them, a basin the colour of charcoal that gleamed viciously under the Arena lights. The team flags stood on small raised podiums at either end; inviting, goading.

Then her eyes locked onto the line of dark armoured figures waiting on the other side of the bowl.

Clad in deep navy blue exoskeletons with white shoulder bars, the team from Galactic Force took up their positions, pointing, gesturing and exchanging words that she couldn't hear. She recognised the lithe, long-limbed teenager on the left of the line: Raleigh Lockwell, fifteenth seed in the solo category. A middle-weight institute on the grand scale, Galactic Force had a reputation for turning out tough, dependable fighters; no finesse, but no foolishness either. Touted as one of the outsiders with the potential to spring an upset, they had over a decade of hard-earned respect from the galaxy behind them.

That didn't change the fact that Codi and her companions were the favourites, however, and the crowd's roar reminded her of that in no uncertain terms. Her eyes narrowed as she examined the rest of the opposition line up. While some teams – like her own – had obvious enforcers and speedsters, the Galactic force group was frustratingly hard to predict, comprised of three boys and two girls, all of them around the same height and build. That left nothing to mark out their skills.