Part 5!

This is just a basic recap of the first episode of the Tokyo Ghoul anime. You only need to read this chapter if you want to remind yourself of the first chapter.

Kaneki and you are sitting down, staring incredibly deeply into Kaneki's eyes as you await this supernatural tale. You prepare yourself by shuffling down in your chair and sipping lightly on a cup of previously made tea.

"I wan't you to explain everything that happened the night you got injured," You say, "All of it."

Kaneki takes a deep breath, "Okay."

"It was a normal day. Hide and I were just casually sitting in the cafe. We were talking about my date. He was laughing about the place I thought about going to for my first date: the bookstore. I was pretty convinced that she would like it but Hide seemed reluctant to the idea. I then suggested taking her to get a burger, but Hide laughed at that idea too. He said that it would be a 'flop'. He told me that, when picking a place, you needed to think about where the girl would have fun. We got to the point when we both realised that Hide had no clue about date locations."

"After Hide had embarrased me in front of Touka, Rize walked in - she's the one I like. Hide stated that her and I are like 'Beauty and the Beast' for whatever reason and then left.  Who would've guessed Rize and I liked the same novelist. During the date I choked, literally.  I tried to recover smoothly, well, it didn't go that smoothly. She left to go to the bathroom, leaving me there with two full plates of food."

"At the end of the day, she thanked me for going on a date with her. She told me she lived close by to the recent ghoul attacks and that she was terrified of it. I offered to take her home so she wouldn't be so scared. We talked about books and it was great having another person to talk to about novels."

"I brought up my courage and asked Rize if we could see each other again. She seemed as if her answer was yes as said we were quite similar to each other. She started to get closer to me, resting her head on my chest. She looked me in the eyes and told me that she also liked me. I was so amazed that she returned my feelings.  A red, dust-like substance started to drift in front of my face. Something darted towards me, less than an inch away from my eye. Her eyes turned red as she gasped and bit into me. She pulled away, laughing."

"I stumbled backwards, dropping my books, my blood spilt all over them. I fell backwards onto the floor, clutching my shoulder where she bit me. She said something interested her more than books: pulling out all the organs from someone who's desperately trying to run away from her. Something red ripped out of her, making her more demonic than she already was. I ran away, as fast as I could. The red things grabbed me and pulled me back to her. She threw me against a wall. I wrestled with her red things that kept trying to kill me."

"She thought I was dead, so she stopped trying to kill me. To be honest, I thought I was dead too. Suddenly, the supports broke. Metal crashing to the ground, crushing Rize in the process."

"I started to regain conscience. I could hear something about a operation. They were going to transfer her organs into me. I was so confused that I didn't know who 'her' was. When I woke up, I was in the operating theatre, and one of my eyes were red; like her's. I couldn't eat, well, I could but the food tasted so foul that I couldn't stand eating it."

"When I left the hospital, I felt fine. You must've been out since a bag Hide left for me on the doorstep was untouched. It had some leftovers and my favourite hamburger. Then he told me to come back to college when I get better."

"I spent the night watching a news report about ghouls, making sure it were quiet enough not to wake you up. When they started to talk about eating habits, I got interested. Everything the reporter said was the same as it was to me. I was frightened. I ran to the bag of food Hide had left me and pulled out the food. I took a bite. It was so disgusting that I threw up. For some reason I kept eating. It was all terrible. From then on I had the idea that I was now a ghoul. I was panicking. All I could think about was flesh, then, the red eye appeared. I took a knife and stabbed it into my chest. It didn't even pierce my skin."

"I had become a ghoul."

Kaneki finished up his story. You were amazed, both with Kaneki because he had to endure all of that torture and with yourself because all of this had been happening right underneath your nose.

"I'm s-sorry," you whimpered, "I didn't know."

"No," Kaneki says, "no one knows."