Chapter 1

Two Years Later

Ryan McAden

I felt like I was again trapped in one of those horrible nightmares, the one that I have to run like hell to be able to go there. I was running to save someone more precious than anything this world could offer.

But I couldn't run fast enough.

I failed again to save her.

I always failed. Always.

Cookoo... Cookoo... Cookoo...

I woke up, my eyes propping open wide. Again, I gasped. I immediately turned the alarm clock off and got out of bed. It was just a dream, I told myself. But then it was a nightmare. A nightmare that kept hunting me.

I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and take a bath. After that, I rummaged my cabinet for some simple clothes to wear ending in a plain black T-shirt and jeans. I skipped breakfast because I'd be late if I eat breakfast here. Nah, that wasn't the real reason behind, it was the fact that my friends would be waiting for me at the shop near the university. It had been my routine to have my breakfast there, not here in my apartment. Thank God I wasn't home or else my mom would force me to eat breakfast right away. Oh well, college life was still great at some points. It was like highschool with more responsibilities.

I grabbed my keys on my bedside table, walked out my apartment door then jogged down the stairs until I reached the parking area. I unlocked my car then slid in, put my key in the ignition, started the car and when I heard it roared to life, I waited until it warmed up a little then sped my way to the shop.

When I reached the shop, I opened the door and hustled to the garage.

"Guess who's here." Harris said walking towards me with a milkshake in his hands. "Here." he said offering me the milkshake.

"So guys, what's the plan for tonight?" I asked taking a sip on my milkshake and getting some fries.

"Here." Timmy said handling me a flyer.

I got the flyer and it really caught my eye. Oh, an advert about a street race happening today. Really? Today? 10pm? Oh well, tonight.

"Where will I sign up?" I asked.

"You're joking, right?" Harvey laughed and faced me, "Look, Ryan, you can't do that. This week is your hell week, remember? It's a matter of make it or break it period for you. You have tons of exams, bro."

I sighed. He was right. I almost forgot that it was my exam week.

"Ryan, the plan goes this way, you and Harris will trade cars for today. We're gonna put your car in condition for the race tonight but you're not gonna be with us. You alright with that?" Mark said, as if they already planned this without me knowing.

"Which car?" I asked thinking that they could borrow my Dodge Charger SRT8 but not my Saleen s7 Twin-Turbo. I had already spent so much on that car for me to lend it to others, even friends.

"Hmm... That one that you bring with you." Harris said looking at my car.

Good thing I brought the Charger Car with me or else, maybe, if I used the other car, it'd be the one that they'd choose. I handed my key to Harris and he handed me the key to his Subaru.

"Well, I think I better go to the University 'coz I think I'm not needed here." I said walking towards Harris' car. I unlocked it's door, slid in, turn the ignition on then headed to school. I felt somewhat annoyed, but eventhough my friends were really into cars, into races, they didn't seem to be bad influences to me, they were always reminding me about my priority in life - to graduate from college.

When I reached the parking area, I immediately jumped off the car and walked towards my class. The halls were busier, I could see students studying at every corner, they're faces, anxious. Everyone were trying to get as much study time as they could could because like Harvey said, it's a matter of make it or break it period of school.

I was anxious, too, but thinking about it might block my mind from everything so I just set that aside. I was after my exams. I went inside the room just in time our professor was distributing our exam papers.

"Mr. Ryan McAden, go straight to your chair, stop mumbling to yourself." Prof. Wright said.

"Oh, sorry, Prof. Wright." I said, rushing to my spot.

After that, my day seemed to go like turtle. I got through my other exams and ended up so exhausted so I decided to go to the mainquad and sat under a tree. I needed to relax. A couple of minutes after, I heard my phone rang so I grabbed it in my pocket. Weird, it wasn't my phone. I looked at the girl, who was sitting a meter apart beside me, grabbed her phone and put it in her ear. She had dark brown wavy hair that falls just beneath the middle of her back, beautiful, I thought. When she looked at me, I almost freak out. She had those green eyes. Then, her face, every angle of it, made my eyes popped wide open.

I know this girl.

I know her.

Missy.