Small Favors

Some spoilers from Jedi Apprentice.
No betas, therefore the mistakes are all mine.
See chapter one for disclaimers.

Qui-Gon Jinn returned to his quarters in a pensive manner. His conversation with Yoda had unsettled him. He had never seen the Grand Master in such a state. What could possibly be wrong with some initiate to worry the ancient Jedi so and what could he possible do to help if Yoda himself felt inadequate? Qui-Gon shook his head in frustration as he poured himself a steaming cup of tea. He was just contemplating what he should make himself for latemeal when the door to his quarters chimed. He walked to the main room and opened the door.

"I hope I am not disturbing you?"

"Not at all," Qui-Gon answered truthfully as he stepped aside and ushered his friend in. "I was just preparing latemeal. Would you care to join me?"

"You? Cooking? Are you sure you are preparing latemeal or perhaps could it be lastmeal?" the other Jedi said as he entered the room carrying a data reader. Qui-Gon allowed the doors to slide close behind him.

"Very funny, Mace," he replied dryly as he returned to the kitchen and prepared a second cup of tea. Mace hovered in the entryway to the small kitchenette as he watched his friend move about the kitchen.

"Is everything alright, Qui-Gon? You seem... distracted."

"I just came from a very interesting meeting with Master Yoda," he replied as placed a cup in Mace's hand. Mace gave a nod of thanks and quietly sipped his tea as he waited for Qui-Gon to continue. "He called me to his quarters ostensibly for tea, but of course he had something else in mind."

"I would assume more padawan pressuring?" Mace offered with a smile. Qui-Gon continued his work in the kitchen even as he answered.

"That was my assumption as well. I was quite prepared for another round of verbal sparring when he surprised me by instead asking me for a favor."

"A favor?"

"Yes."

"What did he ask of you?"

"He wants me attend to the Initiate Exhibition," Qui-Gon started, but just before Mace could interject he held up a silencing hand and continued. "I know, I thought the same thing the moment he said it, but he assures me that not only he is not after me to get a padawan, that if I help him he will drop the subject all together."

"Alright," Mace answered as he mulled that last bit of information over with obvious skepticism. "What does he want then?"

"He wants me to help him help some initiate who is having difficulty," Qui-Gon said as he turned around and approached the entryway with a tray of small finger foods, pastries, and sandwiches. Mace stepped aside to let him pass and joined him at the small dinning table on the outer edge of the common space.

"By the way, this does not count as cooking, Qui-Gon."

"It's food. I prepared it and you will eat it," the long haired master said as he placed the platter on the table. Mace took his seat.

"Did Yoda say who?"

"No, but Mace I tell you that in all my years I have never seen Yoda so..."

"Concerned?" Mace supplied, but Qui-Gon shook his head.

"No. Despondent," he finished. Mace rested his chin on his clasped hands, his brow furrowing deeply.