In Vestments

Some spoilers from Jedi Apprentice.
No betas, therefore the mistakes are all mine.
See chapter one for disclaimers.

Obi-Wan was in total darkness. Hard stone pushed against his back, sharp rocks pierced his skin causing a myriad of tiny, stinging cuts, a heavy weight rested suffocatingly on his chest. The air was thick and dusty around him taxing his already straining lungs. He knew this place though he did not know it at all. He was trapped here. Wherever here was. Trapped by rock and stone. Lost in the dark. Alone... always alone...

"Obi-Wan!" the voice called desperately. The voice, always the same, always too far away. "Obi-Wan! You must try! I need you! Obi-Wan!"

But Obi-Wan could not try. He was too tired, too weak, too... Obi-Wan. Death would follow. He knew that, knew that he had failed the voice that called to him for help. Oh, how he longed to help, but the air was too thick, the stone too heavy...

Obi-Wan awoke with a sharp gasp. Another nightmare. No, not another nightmare. It was the same nightmare as always. The same one that had plagued his dreams off and on for over a year and had now disturbed his sleep two nights in a row. Obi-Wan rose tiredly from his sleep couch and drifted distractedly to the refresher for his morning ablutions. He had just emerged and dressed in his undertunics and trousers when the door to his small cabin chimed. Opening the door revealed a tall rangy frame dressed in the robes of a master. Obi-Wan bowed mechanically.

"Master Apopka."

"Kenobi," the middle aged Zabrak greeted. "We have been aboard ship two days now and you have yet to emerge from your quarters. I feared you may be ill."

"No Master, I am not ill," Obi-Wan replied. Apopka frowned slightly as he took in the boy's short response and haggard appearance. The dark circles under the youth's eyes also did not go unnoticed.

"I am glad to hear it. Since you are well I can expect you to join us for firstmeal in the ship's mess," the master intoned. Obi-Wan opened his mouth to object, but before he could respond Apopka held up a silencing finger. "And before you protest know that on this I must insist."

Recognizing a pointless endeavor when he saw one, Obi-Wan assented to the master's gently delivered command.

"As you wish, Master Apopka," he answered simply. Apopka nodded and left Obi-Wan to finish dressing. The master made his way down the narrow corridors of the tiny transport, nodding occasionally at the crew he passed. He entered the dining area and was greeted by a smiling Twi'lek youth preparing two plates.

"Good morning, Master."

"Good morning, Padawan," Apopka said as he took a seat at an empty table. Much of the crew had already broken their fast for the day so the small eating space was empty save the two Jedi.

"I have asked young Kenobi to join us for firstmeal," the master stated. The padawan halted briefly in his task of preparing tea, but returned to his work in short order procuring another mug from a nearby cabinet.

"Shall I prepare another plate of yours or mine?" the padawan asked. Though the Master-Padawan pair shared many like tastes and interests meal preferences were not among them; the master favored vegetarian fare while the sharp tooth padawan required something once living to adorn his plate.

"Perhaps a little of both. I don't know Kenobi's preference in the matter."

The padawan nodded though his back was still to his master. He prepared a plate of fruit, bread, and cheese for his master while loading his own plate with a variety of cooked meats. A third plate held a combination of all the foods available.