Ways to Serve

Some spoilers from Jedi Apprentice.
No betas, therefore the mistakes are all mine.
See chapter one for disclaimers.

Qui-Gon watched as the small transport made its final descent towards the Temple. It was a tiny craft, the type of one to two person shuttle many Jedi used for short field missions. The ship was piloted expertly on to the landing platform; the powering down of its main thrusters triggering a hive of activity among the dock personnel. Slowly the landing ramp descended and out stepped a cloaked figure. The figure moved down the ramp with an easy, dancer-like grace that was all too familiar to the long haired master. Half-way down the ramp the figure spotted him, smiling as she removed her hood and walked over to him.

"Now this is a nice surprise," she said in melodic tones.

"It's been too long, Tahl. I've missed you," Qui-Gon replied uncharacteristically forthright with his feelings. The honey skinned master always seemed to have that effect on him. Under the scrutiny of her green and gold striped eyes he always felt a bit... disarmed as if she could somehow see through him, to the heart of him, but then again perhaps she could.

"And I you, Qui," she said as she placed a cupped hand on his cheek. "How have you been?"

"Well," he responded and when she narrowed her gaze at him he added, "truly." Apparently satisfied with his response she removed her hand, but still held for him a warm smile. He reached for her small travel bag taking it off of her shoulder and placing it on his own.

"Oh, how chivalrous," she laughed. Qui-Gon gave her a flourishing bow.

"Always," he grinned back as he took her arm and walked with her into the Temple proper. Tahl leaned into his arm resting her head on his shoulder as they walked.

"How long will you be on planet?"

"Awhile yet," Qui-Gon answered as the two strolled casually to her quarters. "In fact, we all will be here just long enough to,"

"All?" Tahl interrupted as she looked into the familiar blue eyes of her friend.

"All," he repeated as they stopped before the door to her quarters. Tahl palmed it opened and the two masters stepped inside. Qui-Gon set her pack down by the couch as Tahl turned to him, astonishment still reading clearly in her expression.

"All," she whispered. "That hasn't happened since Severin," she said and he nodded. "So, what are we going to do?"

"Do?" Qui-Gon asked innocently. Tahl rolled her eyes as she turned away and began stripping off clothes as she headed to her room and the 'fresher.

"Yes, do Qui-Gon. I don't believe for a second that the three of you haven't conspired to get into some bit of trouble," she called back from her room. Then Qui-Gon heard the sound of water running as Tahl began her shower. The long haired master went into the small kitchenette and began to prepare tea for the both of them; easily finding what he needed through long familiarity. By the time Tahl returned to the common room she was dressed in a fresh robe and a slightly damp, but newly twisted braid hanging down her back. Qui-Gon handed her a steaming cup and sat down on the couch. She joined him and took a sip of the offered beverage before pinning him down with a stare.

"Well?"

"Well?" he repeated and received a punch in the arm for the repetition.

"Spill, Qui," she smiled over her cup. Instantly, the master found himself returning her smile, unable to tease her any longer.

"Dinner in my quarters tonight."