A Ghost of a Chance

Some spoilers from Jedi Apprentice.
No betas, therefore the mistakes are all mine.
See chapter one for disclaimers.

Qui-Gon Jinn carefully maneuvered his ailing craft on to the small landing platform. His mission to Arquin Nat had gone as expected though his journey had been anything but. Though a capable pilot, as all Jedi were, Qui-Gon found himself at his wit's end trying to hold his malfunctioning ship together. Something had gone wrong within in the engine, but the master's lack of expertise in mechanical engineering prevented him from firmly determining what. His cursory examinations had eliminated some of the more minor, easily corrected problems, but finally his ability to troubleshoot was at its end and the Jedi was forced to seek outside help if he ever intended to reach Coruscant. As it happened, his path home brought him close to a number of Republic allied planets so he had his choice of repair stops. His final decision on which planet to ask for aide from was based heavily on the fact that one of the nearby planets was specifically associated with a Jedi presence.

Bandomeer.

His decision made, the master contacted the main Agri Corps facility on the planet where he was told that of course they would be happy to assist him in anyway they could. Now that he was here and had successfully landed, Qui-Gon let out a contented sigh of relief. He began the powering down procedures for the craft then gathered his belongings and headed out the main ramp. Once outside the ship he was immediately greeted by a small, squat figure of a species he didn't recognize, but the Force aura, though small -a non-sensitive it would seem- was pleasant and unthreatening.

"Master Jinn," the being welcomed bowing deeply. Qui-Gon returned the bow automatically as years of training dictated. The being's paired antennae bobbed and his four eyes blinked rapidly. "I am Ba'ar, assistant to the Chief Administrator. Administator Voluk sends her apologies that she could not greet you in person, but she is detained by other matters."

"I understand, Ser Ba'ar," Qui-Gon replied neutrally. "I'm certain that a facility this size commands much attention."

"Yes, yes, Master Jinn," Ba'ar answered bobbing and blinking again. "I will take you to her now if that is your want."

Qui-Gon did not respond verbally instead he merely nodded his head and gestured for the assistant to lead the way. The two men traveled the quiet halls of the main building with the assistant prattling away about different rooms and corridors they passed describing their functions in unnecessary detail. Through it all, Qui-Gon nodded when appropriate, but offered little else. Sufficiently stymied, Ba'ar finally desisted in his tour and lead them quietly the rest of the way. He paused before a closed door, bowed then silently took his leave. Qui-Gon waited until the man was gone before stepping forward, the portal sliding open at his approach. The master entered into a small office lined with boxes and data slates. A desk sat in the room's center covered with so many pads and papers its surface could no longer be seen. Behind it stood a woman, middle-aged and attractive if somewhat comely looking. Her short crop of cyan hair sat wildly on her head as her large green eyes scanned over the document she was holding. She glanced up from her readings with a start as the master's quiet entrance had gone unnoticed. She quickly came around her desk and extended a hand to the Jedi.

"Sorry about that, Master Jinn. I sometimes have a tendency to over focus," the woman smiled. Qui-Gon took the lady's hand shaking it mildly.

"There's nothing to apologize for Administrator Voluk. I only hope I am not distracting you from other important business," the master said gesturing to the overlarge stack of materials on her desk. Voluk turned to her desk and chuckled.