Of Things Unsaid

Some spoilers from Jedi Apprentice.
No betas, therefore the mistakes are all mine.
See chapter one for disclaimers.

Qui-Gon came to consciousness slowly, his first thought that of surprise. He hadn't expected to wake or at least not in his physical form. Jedi did not fear death nor did they rush to it, but when faced with the inevitability of their end they accepted it. In that moment, in the firestorm of the blast wave, Qui-Gon had come to such an acceptance, at peace with his fate. His only regret then was for Obi-Wan and the uncertainty of not knowing whether his padawan would live or would follow him into the Force. But here he was... alive which meant his padawan should be alive as well. Without even opening his eyes, Qui-Gon reached out along the bond and was greeted with an enthusiastic wave of relief and joy from Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon sent his own relief to the boy along with a touch of gentle reassurance. The sound of a door sliding open brought the master's awareness back to the outside world. He opened his eyes slowly, blinking repeatedly as he adjusted to the brightness of the room.

"You're awake, that's good," an unfamiliar Jedi said as he stepped to where Qui-Gon lay. "You were fortunate that some of these crafts had bacta facilities. You managed to obtain some rather extensive injuries."

Qui-Gon took in the Jedi Master before him. Humanoid, male, tall, but not quite as tall as he, pale white skin marbled with gray streaks, dark purple hair with flecks and highlights of green that hung past his waist in one thick braid, and a decorative red and gold veil that covered his eyeless sockets. A Miraluka then. Blue robes and a dark brown cloak meant he was a Healing Master. Qui-Gon did not personally know this Jedi, but he knew who he must be.

"Master Ja'Prinn," he greeted. The Master Healer gave a short bow, which Qui-Gon returned with a nod; the most he could manage from his present supine position.

"Master Jinn," Cesca Ja'Prinn replied as he placed an audio reader bud in his ear so he could study the displays by Qui-Gon's medical couch. The recumbent master closed his eyes and took an inner stock. Ja'Prinn noted the man's change in focus, his Force aura shifting slightly from the tan of peace to a dark shade of blue that denoted concentration. Though Cesca was blind, as were all Miralukas, those of his kind who were Force sensitive like he was could "see" the emotional states of others through the shifting colors of their Force auras. The dark blue change of Jinn's aura told the healer that the other Jedi was attempting to focus his attention, most likely on a personal assessment of his health and injuries. Ja'Prinn continued his study of the master's biometrics as he spoke.

"You had first and second degree burns over much of your body and an interesting collection of older, barely healed injuries. The bacta treatment has repaired the worst of it. The most severe burns, however," he paused ending the playback in his ear and turning directly to his patient who had now opened his eyes. "Those burns will require bacta dressings for the next several days. You had to be taken out of the tank before the last of the burns could heal due to the need of the tank for other more critical patients."

Qui-Gon nodded. His own internal scan had confirmed as much about his state of healing. The master slowly moved himself into a seated position; the tight, scarred skin of his back and shoulders pulling painfully as he did so.

"How is Obi-Wan?" he asked. Even though he had felt nothing worrisome from the boy through the training bond, Qui-Gon wanted to hear the assurance from the healer himself.

"The youth had a few superficial lacerations and bruises. They have been treated conservatively and left to heal on their own. He was also underweight for a human male of his age and height. I will of course follow procedure and leave notice of my findings and recommendations with his appropriate Agri-Corps guardian," Ja'Prinn replied primly.