Chapter Fifteen.

Author’s Note: I have a feeling that some of you will like this chapter. ;D
Remember to voteeee <3
Oh, and there is a flashback in italics about halfway through the chapter. If you’re reading this on your phone you won’t see the different font. (:

On the side is a picture of Madeline when she was younger. (:

*******

Chapter Fifteen.
Madeline’s Point of View.

As much as I attempted to stay away from Ellie, she always seemed to find me. I had already broken the rules by becoming friends with Kyle, and the last thing I wanted was someone else trying to get close to me. However, try as I might, I couldn’t bring myself to dislike the redhead. She was slightly taller than my height of 5 foot 7 inches, and was gorgeous. Her eyes were a pale shade of blue, reminding me of the sky on a clear day, and her hair was fiery red with sun bleached blonde strands running through the top of it. Her doll like features made her look innocent, and she was slim and fashionable.

I honestly didn’t know why she would want to hang out with me anyway. She was vivacious whilst I was more reserved. Our friendship appeared to work, though. She was extremely kind and genuinely seemed to like me. As much as I hated to admit it, I was thankful to have another friend. Of course, there were certain things that I could not and would not share with Ellie, but she was a good person to talk to and always seemed to know what to say to make everything seem better. She was a lot like Kyle in that respect.

 I had known Kyle for little over a month, yet I was closer to him than I had ever been with anyone- not counting my brother- and the most surprising thing was that I...trusted him. He protected me from Jenny, and his support was invaluable to me. I knew that having friends was a stupid idea, and I knew that it would eventually backfire but, I just couldn’t seem to stay away from Kyle and Ellie. They brought out a side in me that no one other that William could. When I was around Kyle and Ellie I felt almost...happy. They gave me the release that I needed from my home life and gave me something to look forward to. Jenny hadn’t made another move toward me yet and I supposed that was because I always had either Ellie or Kyle with me. However, I knew that it was only a matter of time before she caught me on my own.

As for my mother, I was becoming increasingly anxious around her. She had not laid a finger on William or me since the day that I had been admitted to hospital, and I was apprehensive as I had a feeling that her lenience would not last much longer.

I swung William’s hand in my own as I led him through the streets. I walked slowly so that his little legs could keep up with me. The cuts and bruises on his face had healed up nicely and had- thankfully- left no scars. The bruises on my torso had faded to a pale yellow colour, and barely hurt anymore. Reaching Kyle’s house, I lifted a hand and knocked loudly at the door with my closed fist. I hitched my bag further up on my shoulder, my stomach churning with nerves. Since Kyle had insisted on me coming over to his house, I had insisted on bringing William with me. So far I had kept my promise about not leaving my brother alone with our mother.

The large wooden door was soon opened by a grinning Sophie. Her dark hair was damp and hung in her eyes, indicating that she had recently got out of the shower. She was wearing a pair of black leggings, a white over sized shirt and pale pink socks.

“Hi!”

She greeted, stepping back to let William and I into the hallway. I kicked off my shoes, and helped William take off his. Sophie dropped into a crouch, bringing herself to William’s eye level. Her blue eyes were filled with happiness and I envied her.

“You’re so cute!”

She cooed, reaching out with her index finger to run it across William’s freckled cheek.