Chapter Twenty Four.

Author's Note: What's a story without a little bit of drama?

WARNING: If you are uncomfortable with reading sexual scenes, then do NOT read past the line that looks like this:  '☮  .➄.➃.➂.➁.➀.   ☮'

VOTE!

*******

Chapter Twenty Four
Kyle’s point of view.

I reached the landline just in time. Picking up the phone, I slammed it against my ear.

“Hello?”

I asked breathlessly. A familiar voice sounded on the other end of the line, and a smile instantly stretched onto my face as she greeted me.

“Oh, so you pick up the house phone, but not your mobile?”

Madeline teased. I grinned sheepishly and nodded my head even though she couldn’t see me.

“Sorry. I was helping mum in the kitchen.”

“Well in that case, I forgive you.”

I could hear the smile in her musical voice as she spoke.

“So, what’s up?”

I asked, referring to why she was ringing if she would be seeing me in a couple of hours.

“Oh, yeah. My mum asked if it’s okay for her to come after all.”

I sensed a certain hardness to Madeline’s voice as she spoke about her mother. Though to be honest I didn’t blame her for not liking the woman. I had only met Cora once before, but if I never saw her again it would be too soon. There was definitely something off with Madeline’s mother- I just couldn’t figure out what it was.

“Uh yeah, sure. That should be fine. Mum’s cooking enough food to feed a small army anyway.”
I heard Madeline laugh in response, and my heart soared as though it were a bird gliding through the clouds.

“Okay, thanks. Well, I’ll see you later.”

We quickly said our goodbyes and then I went into the kitchen to tell mum about the change of plans. In total, there would be eight people eating dinner at my house tonight: me, Sophie, mum, dad, dad’s friend Jason, Cora, Madeline and William. My parents had never met Madeline’s mother before, and although I didn’t particularly like Cora, I hoped that she would get on well with my parents. Things would run a lot smoother tonight if everyone got on.

I rubbed a hand over my face and sighed. My stomach churned with a feeling that I was unable to place. Pushing it aside, I made my way out of the kitchen and toward the front door as the doorbell went off. I greeted Jason with a wide grin, and ushered him into the house. He was more like family than a work colleague of dad’s.

“Right, where’s the food at?”

He asked, rubbing his hands together. I rolled my eyes at the male.

“You’re two hours too early, idiot.”

Ignoring the ‘idiot’, Jason kicked off his shoes and shrugged off his jacket before making his way into the living room where Sophie was sat watching reruns of The Big Bang Theory. My sister looked up when Jason and I entered the room, and instantly sprung up from the sofa to wrap her arms around Jason’s waist. Jason kissed the top of her head.

“Hey, Soph.”

He greeted her, lifting one of his hands to ruffle her neat brown hair. Sophie slapped Jason’s hand away with a grin before beginning to pull him in the direction of the sofa.

“Come watch television with me.”

Jason allowed Sophie to pull him down beside her, and I moved over to the recliner and flopped down into the soft black leather. My gaze strayed toward the roaring fire, watching the flickering orange and yellow flames as they sizzled and licked at the wood that crackled and burned. I ran my tongue over my lips to moisten the sensitive skin, and pressed my head back against the plush leather as I let out an inaudible sigh. I hadn’t seen Madeline since we had finished school.

I had wanted to meet up with her this week, but she had told me that she had to look after William. When I suggested that she bring William with her, she had instantly begun to make excuses. My suspicions had been roused, and I had questioned my girlfriend, but she had refused to give in and tell me what was going on. Was it so bad that I wanted to know what was going on with my own girlfriend? I didn’t think so. I raked the fingers of my left hand through my dark brown hair, making it stick up in all directions.  All I wanted was to know what was happening. I didn’t understand why Madeline refused to confide in me. Whatever it was, it had to be serious if she refused to let me in.