Part 9

People exchanged their whispers about what happened between the jock and I all week. Nobody actually talked to me about it, but the rumors started to get more and more exaggerated. I understand that I'm a nobody, but doesn't popularity mean you have some sort of say in what rumors are true or not?

"No, it was a one time thing. We were drunk, no feelings." I explained to Gabe for the fifth time on our way to class.

"I just heard that you guys were into each other, that's all!" Gabe said.

"All rumors." I replied. Ryan finally caught up with us and almost coughed a lung out.

"I told you guys to wait!" He said between breaths.

"You were spending way too much time on your hair." I told him.

"Looks good though." He said with a smile.

"Pomona!" I heard called out. I looked over to see some of the guys on the baseball team, including last week's mistake, waving me over. I walked over to them with Gabe and Ryan behind me.

"Hey!" He said to me while pulling me into a hug. I couldn't remember if his name was David or Danny, I honestly didn't care enough.

"Hey..?" I replied, a little stunned that he pulled me into a hug.

"I'll walk you to class." He told me.

"Oh um okay?" I said to him. We turned to leave and Ryan started to follow us before Gabe grabbed the back of his shirt and pulled him along to the opposite direction. He walked me to class, which wasn't too far, but he seemed focused on everyone else looking at us instead of me.

"Well here's my class." I said stopping outside the door.

"Cool, I'll see you later" He said before kissing my cheek. He looked at me after and I turned to immediately enter the class room. What the hell was that? I sat down and the girl next to me turned.

"You're so lucky." She said.

"Why?"

"Because you're dating Davey." Davey! I was close.

"Oh, we're not really dating." I said to her.

"Yet. Don't worry, he'll ask you to be exclusive soon, I'm sure of it." She said before turning back to her notebook. What if I don't want to be exclusive with him? I tried to push that out of my mind and focus on the work in front of me. At lunch time I grabbed the usual and headed outside to meet up with Ryan, but was waved over by Davey and his friends instead. I looked outside and didn't see Ryan, so I went over and sat down with the popular kids.

"Hey babe." Davey said putting his hand on my thigh. I bit my tongue from shouting out "don't call me babe" and elbowing him in the face for touching me. I was just awkward and smiled.

"Your hair is so cute." One of the girls across the table said to me.

"Thank you." I said with a small smile. They started talking about their friends and I turned my focus to my lunch and eating it quickly so that I'd have an excuse to leave. It's not that they weren't welcoming, I just don't like a lot of people and the person I do like might be wondering where I am. I finished my lunch and caught the eye of Davey.

"I'm gonna go look for my friend, I'll see you later." I said to him. He nodded and I got up to throw away trash before heading outside to look for Ryan. Ryan was leaning against a tree, sitting by himself and playing with the fray on his ripped jeans.

"Hey!" I said coming around and sitting in front of him.

"Hey finally." He said with a smile.

"Sorry, I got pulled over to sit with Davey and his friends."

"Now that you're his girlfriend?" Ryan said raising an eyebrow.

"No, no way." I said shaking my head. Ryan let out a laugh.

"You better tell him that." He said.

"Oh I will. Next time he tries to kiss me, I'll slap him." I told him.

"Good!" Ryan said in agreement. I didn't see Davey again until after class when I was heading back to my room.

"Pomona, wait up!" He said running after me. He did look pretty attractive jogging towards me.

"Hey." I said to him when he was by my side.

"Hey I got a game this weekend, are you gonna be there?" He asked.

"I've never been to any of the sports games here." I confessed to him.

"Well I'll show you how fun it is. Friday night at 7. It would be great if you could make it."

"Okay, yeah I'll try." I said to him. He smiled and leaned in to kiss me. I thought about what I told Ryan earlier, but my hands stayed holding my books as his lips touched mine.

"Bye!" He said running off.