three

1st Pov. Marina
{1st Pov. Only for thoughts; in italic}

I stood quietly, as I entered the ballroom hall. My eyes landed on my parents, as I passed through the tables.

"Thank you, for joining us. Dove." My father said, and my mother made a 'hhmff' sound, and stared at the stage.

"Thank you all for joining us this evening. We have a great selection of records and requests for our band. Now I will introduce our very own conductor, Tito Swuarez." Martin said, and gestured to an elder black man.

"Now, lets get those feet a moving." He said, a the band began to play, and he began to tap dance.

"Dove, since you skipped dinner. And missed meeting Martin's grandson, Nick. You will be dancing with him." My mother said, and I scoffed. Marin gave me a look, and looked down.

"One, I don't dance. No matter what you make me do. And two, no way." I said, and my mother gripped my arm.

"You will be dancing with him and that is final. I am tired of your rebeliance, now get up he is coming." My mother finished and squeezed my arm even harder. I gasped in pain, and she pushed me to stand.

I tripped on my feet and fell into someone.

"I'm sorry!" I gasped out and looked up at who caught me.

"It's all right." The man said, and I felt like I recognized him. He helped me stand, and touched my sore arm.

"Ah!" I gasped, and he quickly let go.

"It's okay, it's just my clumsiness." I said, and the man gave me a nod and quickly walked away.

I stayed watching him leave, as a another man approached me.

"You must be Marina, or Dove. I'm Nick." He said, and I shook his hand.

"Hi." I wheezed out, as my shy shell came out. I kept my eyes away from him, as he took my hand and after finishing a conversation with my parents.

"Let's dance." He said, and began to move forward. I stared down at my feet as the clumsily followed his steps. He paused as Martin began to speak again.

"Now I'd like to introduce our dance staff. You can sign up at the register hall." He said, as two people ran out into the circle of the ballroom.

The same man, as I fell into, held his arm out. A woman, with dark tan skin, danced around him. They then clasped hands, and kicked their feet in different places.

I stared fascinated, as that was what I wanted to do for years. I went to step forward, and Nick sighed.

"They shouldn't be showing off. That's not going to sell classes." He said and waved and pointed at the dancing pair. Martin walked off stage and signaled, for them to stop.

They separated and quickly grabbed a partner. The man glanced at me, and took a step towards me. But Nick quickly scooped up my arms, and forced me to dance.

As we stepped away, and forced myself to see the man. He gave me a confused look, and chose and elder woman to dance.

I looked up at Nick, as he held a smug look on his face. I rolled my eyes, and pushed him away.

"Nick, thanks for the dance. But I am done. Goodbye." I said quickly, and I walked back to the table with my parents.

"Marin, come on." I said, and took his hand. He stumbled after me, as we left the hall.