Curriculum Development: Fundamental Concepts, Nature and Purposes (Pt. 1)

I. FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS IN CURRICULUM
- Curriculum as a cumulative tradition of organized knowledge.
- Curriculum as an experience
- Curriculum as an instructional plan
- Curriculum as an instructional outcome

LEVELS OF CURRICULUM
+ Societal Level of Curriculum - the farthest from the learners since this where the public stakeholders (politicians, special interest groups, administrators, professional specialists) participate in identifying the goals, the topics to be studied, time to be spent in teaching/learning, and materials to aid instruction

+ Institutional Level of Curriculum - refers to the curriculum derived from the societal level, with modification by local educators or lay people; often organized according to subjects and includes topics and themes to be studied; may also include standards, philosophies, lesson plans, and teaching guides.

+ Instructional Level of Curriculum - refers to how teachers use the curriculum developed in the social level and modified in the instructional level, or what authorities have determined; involves the teacher's instructional strategies, styles and materials used.

+ Experiential Level of Curriculum - the curriculum perceived and experienced by each student and may, therefore, vary among learners because of individual differences.

+ Includes both curriculum processes (procedures in creating, using and evaluating the curricula) and curriculum products or projects, resulting from curriculum development processes; includes curriculum guides, courses of study; syllabi, resource units and other document that deal with content of schooling.