Foundation of Education

FOUNDATIONS OF EDUCATION

John Locke - was an English philosopher and physician "Father of Liberalism"
-to form character (mental, physical, and moral) ;
-Education as Training of the mind/Formal discipline ;
-Notable ideas - "Tabula rasa"

Francis Bacon - was an English philosopher, statesman, scientist, jurist, orator and author.
-"Father of Scientific Method" and "Father of Empericism"

Jean Jacques Rousseau - was a Francophone Genevan philosopher, writer and composer of the 18th century.
- "Hollistic education"(physical,moral, intellectual)
- Notable ideas - moral simplicity of humanity;
- child centered learning;
-Famous novel: "Emile" or On Education;
- Human Development

Edgar Dale - was an American educator who developed the "Cone of Experience"
- aka "Father of Modern Media in Education"

Erik Erikson - was a German-born American developmental psychologist and psychoanalyst known for his theory on "psychosocial development" of human beings.

Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi - was a swiss pedagogue and educational reformer who exemplified Romanticism in his approach. "Social regeneration of humanity" Notable ideas: "Four-sphere concept of life" his motto was " Learning by head, hand and heart"

Friedrich Frobel - was a German pedagogue a student of Pestalozzi who laid the "foundation of modern education" based on the recognition that children have unique needs and capabilities. "Father of kindergarten"

Johann Herbart - was a German philosopher, psychologist and founder of pedagogy as an academic discipline.

Edward Lee Thorndike - was an American psychologist ; " Father of Modern educational psychology; connectionism; law of effect. ; "Realize the fullest satisfaction of human wants"