Development Reading

Below is the LET Reviewer for Professional Education Prof. Ed.: Developmental Reading Part 1.

1. Mrs. Manuel believes in the power of environment print to develop the pupils' sight word recognition, print orientation, and even comprehension in a meaningful way. Which of the following materials is NOT an example of environmental print?
a. Old boxes of powdered milk
b. Chocolate bar wrappers
c. Car stickers
d. Big books
Answer: D

2. Ms. Custodio teaches preschool. She is preparing to employ a shared book experience activity for her kindergartens. Which of the following materials should Ms. Custodio probably need?
a. Flash cards
b. Big books
c. Basal texts
d. Word lists
Answer: B

3. Ms. Adona asks her pupil to point to the first word that should be read in the big book. Then, she asks the pupil to point to the last word to be read. Which of the following assessment measures does Ms. Adona employ in this situation?
a. Assessment of Reading Comprehension
b. Assessment of Spelling Ability
c. Concepts about Print Test
d. Vocabulary Test
Answer: C

4. Ms. Padilla is a Grade 1 Teacher who is concerned with building letters into words and words into sentences. She uses flashcards so the pupils can sound out syllables and words correctly. What reading model is reflected in Ms. Padilla's instruction?
a. Bottom-up model
b. Top-Down model
c. Interactive model
d. Schema model
Answer: A

5. Ms. Torres believes that her pupils need direct sensory contact and physical manipulation in the classroom so that they learn easily and recall input effortlessly. What is the grade level of Ms. Torres' class?
a. Pre-school
b. Primary
c. Intermediate
d. High School
Answer: A

6. Mr. Morauda is a Grade 1 Teacher who plans reading instruction as part of the language block. He provides varied reading experiences that involve children sitting quietly, silently reading library books or making a book based on their own experiences. What theoretical model of reading does Mr. Morauda show?
a. Bottom-up model
b. Top-Down model
c. Interactive model
d. Schema model
Answer: B

7. One Grade 3 teacher of English to multilingual learners has just finished reading a story aloud to the class. Which of the following is the best post-reading activity for the learners?
a. Provide students with a guide for reader-text interactions.
b. Have students write about what they have read.
c. Give them comprehension questions
d. Let them rest for a while
Answer: C
8. Mr. German is a teacher handling English for a culturally-diverse class. He would regularly read aloud to his pupils, would provide time for free silent reading, recreational reading, and would lend them magazines and newspapers. What factor in reading does Mr. German want to cultivate among his pupils?
a. Emotional/social development
b. Physical development
c. Interest in reading
d. Intelligence
Answer: C

9. Mr. Arce is a new Grade 1 teacher who is unsure whether the pupils are ready for beginning reading instruction. What must he observe before he begins his lessons?
a. The pupils are emotionally prepared for social interaction and competition.
b. The pupils have achieved unity of their capabilities with their interests.
c. The learners can respond to simple questions and instructions.
d. The learners show desire to learn in class.
Answer: B

10. Teacher Millicent knows well that the text or the print material is one factor that affects reading. So she tries to match the text with the ease or difficulty of students' comprehension based on the style of writing. What text factor does Teacher Millicent consider in the choice of reading materials for her class?
a. Organization
b. Format
c. Readability
d. Content
Answer: C

11. Ms. Morallos teaches her Grade 6 class how to write a summary of an expository text. In her discussion, she explains what it is, models it through think aloud, and informs her pupils when and how this skill learned in the classroom can be used even during their own free silent reading. She provides them with guided and independent practice before she conducts an evaluation. What approach to teaching is reflected in Ms. Morallos' practice?
a. Indirect instruction
b. Explicit instruction
c. Intrinsic instruction
d. Independent instruction
Answer: B