Chapter 7

"Why is-" I started, turning to Dulciana, only to find her gone, her aubergine gown already vanishing between the rising nobles. The dance floor descended into chaos as partners hesitated, the maestro hastily attempting to coordinate his musicians now that the prince and princess had been announced and the king had resumed his seat.

I wove my way off the floor, my eyes on the prince and princess as they descended the stairs, the crowd parting for them but not moving at all out of my way. The twins walked almost in step with one another, stalking across the floor and not sparing a look for any of the nobles bowing to them. The crowd pressed together as I attempted to approach the new arrivals, dancers fighting for space on the floor while the others backed into their way to clear a path for the twins.

I very nearly ran over a middle-aged nobleman, pulling myself up short when I realized he was addressing me in English.

"Your Highness, it is an honour," he'd said, now watching me with keen, grey eyes. "I am the Duque Delminas, Alejandro Peñarisco, and I've been waiting a very long time to meet you."

He was attired in finery studded with jewels, as befit the duke who controlled the mines and ore of Ardalone. My eyes slid to the younger man hovering behind him, his high cheekbones and grey eyes so very like the duque's. I bit back my groan as I realized that the younger man had been one of the four lined up to vie for Ana-Cristina's first dance.

"The honour is mine," I said, dipping a bow myself.

I said nothing more, not until I found out exactly why the duque had been waiting so long to meet me.

Peñarisco smiled, the expression more predatory than amused.

"Allow me to present my son, Guillermo," the duque said, gesturing for his son to step forward. Over their shoulders, the twins strode past. Aware that I was being scrutinized by one of the most influential nobles in the room, I tore my eyes away, instead inspecting Guillermo Peñarisco.

He seemed even less interested in our introduction than I was, his upper lip twitching in a repressed sneer as he bobbed a bow to me. No, he most certainly didn't like the fact that I outranked him, not when he was easily one of the highest ranking young men in the room.

"A pleasure," I said, offering him naught but a nod. His eyes turned flinty at the slight, his father's dangerous smile returning.

"We were under the impression that you and Princess Dulciana were betrothed," the duque continued. The maestro finally succeeded in resuming the dancing, but unfortunately for me, my corner of the ballroom floor was decidedly devoid of dancers. I couldn't use them as an excuse to escape the conversation I now found myself stuck in.

Well, might as well make the best of it.

"She is a very generous woman, allowing me the honour of her sister's first dance," I said, easing into my old favourite, the icy smile I learned from my mother. "Ana-Cristina is such a lovely thing. There really is no resisting her, is there?"

"Indeed," Peñarisco said, nothing friendly in his tone.

His son's nostrils flared, the muscle on the left side of his jaw pulsing. I assessed him quickly, deciding that his three inches of extra height would prove to his advantage if he was unable to control his emotions. I'd have to duck quickly if the duque's heir decided to throw a punch for speaking so casually of Ana-Cristina.

Suitor number one, I thought.

Or at least, that's what Guillermo Peñarisco fancied himself.

"Making friends already, are we?"