Chapter 2

Tying my hair into a bun, I quickly worked on the wolf that was currently laid on my bed. It had been three weeks since my birthday and I was back to healing those that Hayden brought to me. The wolf was bleeding badly and I could only be thankful of the plastic sheet that stopped the blood from landing on my bed.

"What are we going to do with you Gabriel?" I sighed as the tanned wolf grinned cheekily at me.

He hissed, as I started the healing spell, before panting. It was hard work for both of us. To perform my magic, it took my energy. Gabriel was a regular to my powers.

"I swear Gabriel, you come up with an excuse every week to get beaten that much that you need healing." I sighed as I wiped the blood off of my hands.

"I'd do anything to come and see your beautiful face." Gabriel laughed and I smiled before gently hitting him around the head. He was around thirty years old and had not yet found his mate. At that age, a wolf believes they will never find their mate so look for pleasure somewhere else.

Just as Gabriel was putting his shirt back on, Alpha Hayden came in. He watched as the other wolf left the room before turning to me.

"You are a magnificent wolf, Kiara."

"It's my job, Hayden. Just make sure Gabriel doesn't visit me for a long time."

"What happened to him?"

"The idiot has been sleeping with Makayla behind her mate's back."

"Johnny's mate Makayla?" Hayden questioned.

"Yes. Johnny and Gabriel were training together and Gabriel just couldn't keep his big mouth shut. The training session turned into a full on fight."

Hayden nodded in thanks before leaving, locking the door behind him. I looked at my arms to see blood still on them. Sighing, I decided to get a shower.

After my shower, I decided to dress into some lounge clothes and climb into bed. Healing Gabriel had tired me out to the extent of exhaustion.

When I woke up, I heard shouting from downstairs. I saw Rory sat on the end of my bed and automatically groaned into my pillow. Whenever there was shouting in that house, it meant that the annual Alpha meeting was happening. All the Alpha's from all the packs come to Hayden's pack and talk about things. Rory always came to hang out with me because he wanted to get away from it all.

As I lifted my head from my pillow, that was when I noticed Rory was crying.

"I'm so sorry Ki. So so sorry." He cried before standing up and turning his back to me.

"What's happened Rory? What have you done?"

I stood up and placed my hand on his shoulder. "One of the Alpha's has brought their daughter." He sniffed and I dropped my hand to my side. "She's my mate, Kiara."

"You don't have to be sorry." I felt a tear fall down my cheek. "Be happy. Make her feel special. That's all I want you to do." I hugged him. "Go to her. Just don't forget about me."

He hugged me and kissed my cheek. "I could never forget about you."

As he left, he smiled at me before closing the door. I knew that the guards would be downstairs today so I would be able to cry in silence. But that was when I realised. Rory was trusted with locking the door when he visited in times like that.

Gingerly, I crept to the door and ever so slightly tried to open it. Cool air drifted in from the corridor outside as the door revealed the place I had longed to walk. I stepped out of the door, checked that the coast was clear before tracing the steps that I had walked just weeks ago with Rory, on my birthday.

Reaching the stairs, I looked down and saw that the Alpha's had been moved into the meeting room. I sprinted down the stairs and out the front door before running as fast as I could to the pack borders.

Suddenly, I ran into the chest of a man. He was wearing gloves so I knew he wasn't mated yet from the power radiating from him, I knew he was an unmated Alpha. He seemed around my age which was strange because normally be my age, I wolf would have found their mate. Especially an Alpha.

"What do we have here?" His voice sounded so melodic to me. His scent a dream.

"Please, Alpha. You have to help me." I whispered.

"Why would a beautiful young wolf like you need help?"

"If I show you something, you must not alert anyone. Don't gasp in shock or anything. Just look." I stared at the floor. Not yet trusting myself to look at the Alpha. What I was about to do, could either save or condemn me.

Slowly, I rolled the sleeve of my top up to show the Alpha my mark. With his gloved hand, he traces the outline of the paw print. With the other hand, he pulls the bobble out of my hair so it cascades down my back, from the bun.

"It can't be." The Alpha gasped.

"Yes, I am the Protector." I shuffled my feet, scared of what would happen next.

"No." The Alpha stroked the hair out of my face. "You are Kiara Stone."

Upon hearing my name, my full name that I had not heard in so long, I lifted my head so I could fully see the Alpha I had ran into. As soon as I saw his face, I gasped.