Chapter 21

A gentle beeping sounded in my ear. I couldn't see anything, not even a single dot of light. Distant footsteps joined the gentle rhythm of the beeping and quiet voices filled in a soft melody. I wanted to move, but I was paralysed.

"Doctor, he's here again." A voice sounded from far away.

"It's only been an hour since he left. We told him we would contact him if anything changed." A voice closer to me said.

"I know, what do you want me to do?" The fist voice asked.

"You'll have to let him in."

The room quietened once again. It would have been silent if it wasn't for the gentle beeping. I guessed it was a heart monitor seeming as the second voice was a doctor.

Suddenly, the door banged open.

"Alpha, please!" The doctor scolded.

Alpha! That meant Jet was here. I wanted to open my eyes and see him but my eyes were glued shut.

The sweet scent of my mate filled my nose as his hand grabbed mine.

"Kiara, you're killing me here. I need you by my side. The last week -" WEEK! I couldn't believe I had been in hospital for a week. "-has been hell. I was struggling in the battle and then you collapsed in my arms. That was a week ago and I haven't been able to function properly. You're mother isn't leaving her room because she feels like she's lost her husband and her daughter. Please, Kiara, I need you. I need us."

I desperately wanted to wake up and hug him but once again, I was glued to the hospital bed.

"Alpha, there is something we wanted to talk to you about. We have only just discovered this so we thought we should bring it forward to you." The doctor's voice was getting further and further away. "We discovered..........Alpha......okay........pups............of course.........they're in good hands." I could hear fragments of the doctor's speech but the only thing that stood out was the word 'pups'. I couldn't have been pregnant could I?

I felt Jet grab my hand once again and he was telling me the good news. I was pregnant with twins. The pups weren't harmed and from what the doctors had looked at, they were healthy.

While I was listening to Jet, I started getting feeling back in my hand. I squeezed Jet's hand to tell him I understood, that I was there.

"Kiara? Can you hear me?"

Slowly, light got bright behind my closed eyelids and got brighter as I slowly opened my eyes.

"Kiara!" Jet jumped up and hugged me.

"Jet, ouch."I croaked and smiled softly at him.

"Sorry."

We stayed together in silence for a while, holding hands. Neither of us wanted to talk. This was the first time I had been awake since the battle and everything had hit me like a tidal wave. All the death. My father. Jet had already told me that all my friends were safe but I couldn't help but feel like I should have done more. There should have been no deaths while I was there.

After several checkups, the doctor allowed Jet to take me out for a walk. He took me down to a small bandstand that I had never seen before.

"I didn't do this properly last time so I'm gonna do it now." He said looking out into the forest. Slightly prodding a fairy light that was sticking out from one of the strings strewn along the wood. 

"What you on about Jet?"

"When you went into hospital, they gave me all of your possessions, including your ring. I have to give it back to you so I figured I would do it like this. Kiara, I love you so much. When we were little we used to sleep in the same bed and marry each other with haribo rings but then you were taken from us. I felt like a piece of me was ripped out. I couldn't have wished for a better person to be my mate. A better person to be with me for the rest of my life. A better person to carry my pups. I want to spend the rest of my life with you so I'm going to have to ask...." He got down on his knee "Will you marry me?"

"Of course." I laughed as he picked me up and swirled me around. "I love you."

"I love you too" He kissed me and I laughed even more before he walked me back to the hospital.