27 | proposal

Chapter 27: proposal
Proposal: noun; a plan or suggestion, especially a formal or written one, put forward for consideration or discussion by others.
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
27. Proposal

It was finally Friday and I couldn't be more scared. I already had to cancel on Kurt saying I wasn't able to make it to dinner, he just said he understood and he would reschedule it. I stared down at my lunch tray as the others ate around me, we had decided to all eat as one big group instead of having separate tables today. Clara sat on my right with Dustin on her right, Dylan sat on my left with Blake on the other side of him and Jessica sat across from me next to Blake and Dustin, I truly felt bad for her. Our little circle table was silent as we all ate, Blake and I still haven't figured out who we are, and Abigail still was new at the table, the only person talking was Dylan. He tried to make conversation with me but failed to when I didn't respond.

I sighed irritated, I didn't want to go to that meeting. What else do they want from me? More money? Because I've already given them enough as it is. I looked at my watch and saw that I had 10 minutes until I had to meet the General. And no it's not the insurance brand, it's the scarier version, the one that won't give you a free quote.

I got up and dumped my tray in the trash before I made my way to my motorcycle , I drove as slowly as I could before I made it to the destination, the Enlistment Station for the Army. I saw General Thomas talking to the soldier in there when I walked in, the bell signaled my arrival and their heads swiveled so they where looking at me.

The General gave me a smile as the other went into the back room. "Do you remember this place?" He asked.

"Of course." I muttered as I looked around the familiar building.

"I have a proposition for you."

I looked at him and shot him a questioning look. Right then the back room door flung open and out walked the soldier from before, but this time he was carrying a prosthetic leg. "What is that?"

"Here's the deal, you are the most valuable soldier I have ever laid eyes on, we want you-scratch that, we need you to come back and serve your country again."

"Uh, bu-t I can't."

"That is where this comes in." He held up the leg "this leg will allow you to complete missions you couldn't with the leg you have now, you can have more mobility. And the best part is, is its one of a kind. Ever since the government heard about your leg, we've been perfecting this one for you."

I shook my head not believing what I was hearing, I get to go back and do what I love? How? Why me?

"Would you like to try it on?" He asked

I nodded and took the leg as I sat down in the nearest chair. I slipped off my old one and secured the new one on my stump. It fit perfectly and I felt more capable and powerful in it.

"Do you like it?"

"Hell yes!" I exclaimed.

He gave a small laugh. "You keep it, talk to your mom about this and tell me as soon as possible if your willing to join again."

"If I where to say yes, what would I do?"

"We would ship you back to Afghanistan for your 4th tour. And we will promote you for your excellences in the field, you deserve it."

I smiled happy at the way this day went. "I'll let you know soon."

He nodded and I exited the building with a grin on my face.
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬

"Welcome back Soldier!" Coach yelled as I walked into the gym.

"It's good to be back."

I walked over to Dylan to see him training with someone else who was sitting in the shoulder press standing the other way. I pointed to the mystery guy. "Who the hell is that?" I asked jokingly

Dylan laughed "you know him really well actually."

I quirked my brow at him and the mystery guy laughed. I recognized that laugh from anywhere! He turned around and I saw those hauntingly beautiful eyes once again. "Since when where you in this class Blake?"

"Coach said I need to train with a pro, so I came to your class, obviously." He stated with a smirk.

I laughed and playfully punched him in the shoulder. "Ha Ha, very funny."

"Come on, let's see what you've got." Blake challenged.

"Oh it's on like donkey kong!"

We instantly went over to the bench press and he went first benching 150, but that's baby weight. The whole period he was challenging me and I was winning, over and over again. We didn't want to leave when the bell rang, but Dylan, Blake and I made our way to our cars in the parking lot talking about how Coach kinda looks like an older version of Steve Carrel.

"I know right! They even act the same!" Dylan laughed.

I stopped in front of my bike and waved goodbye as they kept walking to get to their cars. I was so distracted by the conversation I had totally forgotten about General Thomas's proposal. I let out a long sigh before throwing on my helmet.

The drive only took about 5 minutes before I arrived home. My mom was out grocery shopping and Cole was sitting on the couch eating chips. I sat down next to him and took a handful of chips from his grip and threw them into my mouth, Cole gave me an aggravated side glance before pausing whatever he was watching and turning to face me.

"You only eat unhealthy when you have to make a decision, what's on your mind?" He asked

"Well.... I have a question first."

"Shoot."

"You've been on 4 tours in the Army right?" I asked cautiously.

"Yea...why?"

"Are you going to retire?"

"I haven't thought about it yet, probably. Why are you asking me this?"

"Well...General Thomas wants me to go back to Afghanistan." I muttered, hopping he wouldn't hear me.

"What the hell!?" He yelled standing up spilling all of the chips on the floor.

I guess he heard me.
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
Note:
🤔Question: favorite food?--->
Comment•Vote•Share