Chapter 20- Birthdays and New Year

_______Kyra's Pov_______

Today was going to be the most memorable day of Raymond's life and I was going to make sure of it. Apart from being the last day of the year, it was also Raymond's twentieth birthday. I got up extremely early and did what any normal girlfriend would do. I called the reception area to ask for a birthday cake to be delivered to our penthouse suite. I also ordered the pleasant lady I was speaking to, to bring balloons to our suite. I wanted to show Raymond that I cared. I had to make him believe that I would do anything for him. I needed him to know that he could trust me. He could not have any doubt in his mind that I would betray him or else who knows what he would do if he found out I planned on escaping him.

"Happy Birthday Ray!" I exclaimed as I woke him up.

His eyes fluttered open and he rubbed them, trying to wipe away the sleepiness from them.

He smiled and gave me a hug, pulling me down on the bed and now I was on top of him as I embraced him.

"Thank you Kyra." he said gratefully.

"Go get dressed babe." I instructed him as I got off of him and I went to play on my tablet.

Raymond went to the closet and picked out his outfit and then went to the bathroom. A few minutes later, I heard water running from the shower and I dropped the tablet and went to my closet. I stripped from my baggy t-shirt and short pants and put on a black lace dress from Versace and six-inch stiletto heels to finish my look. I had showered earlier and I had the baggy shirt on as my backup so nothing would seem out of the blue. My face looked flawless so I only added red lipstick and decided to put my hair in an up-do. I accessorised with huge hoop earrings and gave myself credit for doing all this in less than five minutes.

After a few moments of pacing up and down the room, there was a knock at the door and I immediately ran to open it. Two waiters stood before me with a beautifully decorated chocolate cake and a bottle of an exquisite French wine. A maid greeted me with balloons in her hands. I allowed them entry into our suite and instructed them where to place the cake, wine, and decorations.

I ensured that everything looked presentable and then took two wine glasses from the glass cabinet.

Ray was dressed in a perfectly tailored black suit and his hair was gelled back slickly, causing me to gasp at how handsome he looked.

I began to sing happy birthday to him and dragged him to the dining table.

He looked at his double chocolate cake and smiled.

"When did you do all this?" he asked baffled and joy filled his voice.

I chuckled and smiled at him.

"I wanted to do something special for you. You've done so much for me and it was the least that I could do." I responded.

"Thank you, darling. It's perfect." he said, giving me a tender kiss on my forehead.

I felt so much love coming from the man I once thought was a beast. Maybe he had a heart despite being controlled by the monster in his head.

Maybe.

But I refused to stick around to find out if my assumption was right. I had to lure him into my trap because I know that I will get my chance to escape him somehow. One way or another, I will get my freedom from Raymond, whether is from his own free will or my deceitful plan to run away when he least expects it.

But then again, even if I escaped Raymond, where would I go? I was not even concerned with what Raymond would do to me if I got caught. I was more worried about having to return home to that hag I called my mother. Did she even miss me? I think the odds were better if I stayed with Raymond. Not only does he love me but he genuinely cares about my happiness. He would do anything for me even if it meant hurting other people. My mother did not care about my happiness. I was in misery every time I was with her. These few months I've been away from her has made me realise that I'm better off far away from her. It's because of her my father left. The one person who truly cared for me left without uttering a word to me and it's been over six years since I've seen or spoken to my dad.