Chapter 9

*OMG I have serious writers' block rn, maybe it's 'cuz I haven't been watching a lot of anime recently. To me, it's an inspiration. Also, I'm making time to read Tell Me Three Things. Seems so mysterious so far. Lastly, don't forget to VOTE! thank you!*

"Rock-paper-scissors," I make a sideways "peace sign" while Finn holds out his fist (rather than a rock, it looks more like a boulder). Great, I'm already loosing.

Finn dribbles the ball to the half-court mark. "Ready?" he gives me a teasing smile as he cross-backs the ball, then passes it from behind, catching it in his front in a circular motion; as if he's juggling it (showoff). I nod, and he charges to my left, abruptly stops, and finds a route to my right; and he gets to his destination flawlessly with a lay-up (jaw-drop).

"Losers ball," he turns to me after getting the ball from the hoop. His smile is no longer there. It has been replaced with an expression of determination (making him look more like a bull). Snapping me back to the game, Finn chest-throws the ball to me. I catch it and make my way to half-court.

**

I drop the ball and I stand in shock. "I won?" I say in disbelief. "I won... HOLY SHIT I WON!" (if he was going easy on me or not, it doesn't matter 'cuz I win and don't have to keep my end of the bargain).

"Yup," Finn takes the ball from me and shoots some free hoops. "I guess so..." he smiles to himself and keeps playing (so, he was going easy on me). But why? It makes no sense. He wanted to know so badly, now he let me off the hook?

For some reason, guilt punches me in the stomach.

I approach Finn, every shot he takes, I get closer. Ten more steps; swish. Eight more steps; swish. five more... swish.

Five more steps but I can't do it. Right in front of me, a girl with a mischievous smile has her hands covering Finn's eyes.

"Guess who it is," she says cheerfully (which is relatable to her Wolves-cheer uniform).

Okay, it's just a girl. She's just someone Finn knows, nothing else.

Finn turns around and scoops the girl into his arms with the big toothy grin that I fell in love with. The girl yelps as he kisses her on the cheek and sets her back down. She runs her hands through his hair with a playful smile. He smiles back. What I'm witnessing looks like a game of Who-Can-Smile-The-Longest? Finn bends down to hug her, real tight. As if I'm not there.

And my heartbreaks.

When they break off the game and finally turn their attention to me, Finn looks at me with sparkling eyes. "Rennie," he looks down at the girl again with his smile, "this... is Marcy Blackburn." A pause. "My girlfriend."

And my heart shatters. If there really is a god out there who plans to get me and Finn together, why did he do this?

I continue my steps again. three... two... one. When I get to zero, I hold out my hand to Marcy like a soldier saluting to their superior; not because I want to but because I have to. "Hey, I'm Renee."

She takes it and smiles at me, "Finn's told me so much about you."

"Oh really? He hasn't really told me about you though..." I cover my mouth (an act, I know, I'm salty). "I'm so happy to meet you," I say as I give her my brightest smile (another act).

Marcy laughs a rich girl laugh and twirls her hair around as she looks into Finn's eyes with glee. I know I should be happy for him, but I'm not. I can't. I just have the inability to. She is the girl, after all, who stole my crush from me. I look at Finn, trying to make my face look happy even though I'm not smiling.

"Well, um... I should get going, fifth is gonna start soon and I left my bag with the others."

"Yeah, yeah," Finn's still looking at Marcy. Then he snaps back, "We should get going too." Marcy then gives him a smile that I know will lead an intense make-out session in a bit, so I basically start running (not literally, but in the form of walking really, really fast). 

A few minutes later, the bell rings for Mrs. Einstein's class. And the minute I was in, the Star Wars track Torn Apart is playing. Then I walk over to my seat, drop my bag (not bothering to sling it over my chair) and plop me and my torn heart onto the area.