Chapter 3

"Maybe you would like to tell me what in Merlin's name is going on, Muddy?"
Bellatrix's voice was horribly sharp and low against Hermione's ear. Her long, black nails were on their way to punctuate Hermione's throat, the brunette was sure of it. However, she couldn't answer her. Now was not the time to stop, they could be caught at any moment.

Hermione struggled to breathe as memories from when she had gone back in time entered her mind. She faintly remembered people running through the hallway, and as her vision slowly started to blacken it was as if she heard footsteps coming through the next hallway exactly like the people from before. Suddenly, Hermione realised that, in a moment, people would be storming through the hallway where Bellatrix currently was on good way to strangle her, and they would be seen. With the last drop of power she had left, Hermione kicked the older witch's leg as hard as she could. Bellatrix stumbled backwards, more of surprise than pain, letting go of the other's throat immediately. At the same time, Hermione gasped hungrily for air, before again taking Bellatrix's wrist, dragging her into the only alcove in sight. In less than a second, people stormed the hallway. With a sigh of relief, Hermione rested her back against the brick wall, glancing at the people from behind the armour. Bellatrix seemed to be momentarily stunned as she didn't utter a sound. The silence didn't last long, however.

"What the hell is this?" The raven haired witch hissed. Her eyes were squinting and Hermione could see that her brain worked full speed at trying to figure out the answer to her own question.

"I can't tell you right now, but you have to trust me", whispered Hermione. The people had now disappeared and it looked as if the hallway was clear. Bellatrix made a move to exit the alcove, but Hermione snapped her arm and pulled her backwards just in time. Future (past?) Hermione ran through the hallway moments later, and Present Hermione sighed. Bellatrix looked even more perplexed now.

"How? Wait, what?" She racked her brain searching for a possible solution as to why she had just seen Hermione running through the hallway, while Hermione also sat beside her in this very moment. Her face grimaced into a frustrated position when she didn't find a good enough answer. The only thing she could come up with was that one of the Hermiones must be under the influence of a Polyjuice potion. Yes, that must be it!

"So, tell me, Muddy, which one is the real you?" said Bellatrix and stepped out of their hiding place.