Chapter 15

Hades stared at her wrist. She hadn't even noticed, much less cared, for the bruises that were forming on her skin, but this girl, this mudblood, had cured them without a second thought for herself. No one had ever cared so effortlessly, so naturally.

The girl shifted beside her, trailing her eyes carefully across Bellatrix's body and to her face, until she was looking at her. Bellatrix did not dare to meet her gaze in fear of her eyes betraying her true wonder at the little performance of magic that had just taken place.

Hermione wanted to try, even if it meant death, she wanted to know. Very slowly, she tucked a long strand of unruly hair behind Bellatrix's ear, before placing her hand on the base of her neck. The older witch sat as if frozen in time. Hermione had stopped breathing somewhere during this odd exchange. She was ready to sacrifice her entire life for one moment, one kiss was all she wanted. She leaned over and placed her trembling lips close to Bellatrix's own. Still, no killing curses were fired. Hermione was but mere inches from the other woman's face; bravery overcame her (she was a Gryffindor, after all) and she closed the distance between them, this time from the front, so that their lips aligned where it was possible.

Contrary to what her stature suggested, Bellatrix's lips were warm and soft, and overpoweringly feminine. Hermione's brain melted out her ears, she was no longer an intellectual, rational human, but a vessel of emotions as strong as a hurricane. Her hands had found their way into black curls just as her tongue shifted in her mouth, begging for entrance from the dark witch. It was granted, but only for a mere tenth of a second, before strong hands pushed her brisquely onto the ground.

Bellatrix regained control of her body and watched the mudblood's astonished expression from where she now lay before her feet.

"What do you think you're doing, mudblood?" Bellatrix hissed, towering over her like she was but a mere prey - her next meal. "Never touch your filthy lips against mine again. You think that because I let you satisfy your fantasy with me once before in that damned night, I am yours for the taking? Oh no, haven't you learned your lessons yet?" She leaned over the terrified girl, her eyes glistening pure evil. 

Hermione shivered, but held her gaze resiliently. It was terrible enough that the woman had somehow made her way into the bubbling deep of a love potion that doomed Hermione's entire existence; now she would pretend that the emotions they had shared in their first kiss never happened. She wanted the words that came out of her mouth to sound as strong as her intention behind them, but alas, they betrayed her weakness to the hunting predator. "Don't lie to me. You felt it, I know you did."

"I felt nothing! I was drunk. Remember?" The last word was spat in her face with a satisfied smirk. Bellatrix dramatically and victoriously straightened her back, turning around to leave before the mudblood could spot any trace of doubt or uncertainty in her demeanour.

"Then why did you hesitate now? Why do you continue to prove to me that you are a person, not a monster?" Hermione stood up rapidly, " I am sorry, but I do not believe you. You cannot lie to me." She watched as Bellatrix continued to walk away from her. "Don't ignore me." Bellatrix still did not answer and Hermione was forced to follow her. She was determined not to let this topic slide. "Where are you going? Can you look at me?" At this, the older witch finally turned around and met Hermione's perplexed gaze with her own steely black.

"Well, we have to find a new place to live now, don't we, Muddy? All things considered." She gestured offhandedly to the pond with a pale hand, before the realisation dawned on Hermione.

Author's Note: Sorry for taking so long with this chapter; I've been so busy with starting university that I completely forgot about this fic. I hope you can forgive me, and have patience with the future chapters. Thank you so much! 

And, as always, vote and comment :D