Chapter 6

Hermione was astonished. She stood up slowly, her head aching terribly. The screaming didn't make it any better. She stumbled backwards till her back hit the wall. What in heavens name is going on? She was seconds away from approaching the screaming witch and trying to calm her down, but then she remembered who it was.

Hermione watched in helplessness as Bellatrix lifted herself into standing position, still screaming. There was madness gleaming in her eyes and a horrible expression danced at her features. Hermione retreated into the shadows, pressing herself as close to the wall as physically possible, not even daring to breathe. Bellatrix drew a quick breath before aiming her wand at a lonely chair in one of the corners of the room. The chair exploded immediately, splinters flying across the room. Hermione shivered. She dared not think about what would happen to her if Bellatrix pointed her wand at her. She let her eyes glance over the room, frantically looking for something to defend herself with, should that become necessary. Hermione's body filled with hope as her eyes landed on a wand, mere two metres away from where she was hiding. Bellatrix had, in all her desperation, dropped Hermione's wand.

Hermione sank to her knees slowly, and as Bellatrix screamed and destroyed various furniture, she crept silently across the floor. There was only a half metre between the brunette and her wand when Bellatrix noticed the whole scene. Hermione threw herself the last length, grasped her wand and blocked Bellatrix's sectumsempra just as it was about to hit her.

"Expelliarmus!" Bellatrix's wand flew across the room, landing in the corner closest to Hermione's position. Both witches ran for it, but Hermione was the lucky one. Bellatrix crashed into her and immediately fists went flying and legs were kicked. Her hands grasped at Hermione's throat, screaming obscenities along the way.

"Give me my wand, stupid mudblood!" Something inside Hermione stung at the insult, but she pushed it away briskly. Bellatrix was hurt, that's why she lashed out in this way. When Hermione came to that realisation, she instinctively locked her arms around Bellatrix. The older witch screamed even worse and struggled for her life against Hermione. Her nails scratched over her body, but Hermione continued to hold her. The brunette pushed Bellatrix close to her chest and didn't let go. Bellatrix, on the other hand, didn't give up her fight. She scratched, yelled, kicked and screamed but Hermione still didn't let go.

After a while of resisting, Bellatrix went limp in Hermione's arms. Silence, followed by a quiet sound escaped her mouth, almost like a sob. Hermione held her tighter as the tears came flowing. She stroked Bellatrix's raven curls gently and let her cry. The other witch grasped Hermione's back and sobbed loudly into her shoulder. The brunette held her close, caressing her back gently and whispering sweet reassurances in her ear. Suddenly, Bellatrix broke the embrace and quickly dried her tears with the back of her hand. Hermione found herself instantly missing the warmth of the other witch.

"He left me", whispered Bellatrix almost inaudibly and lifted her left arm for Hermione to see. It was clean. The dark mark was gone.