.•°Five.•°

A/N: Slight smut warning.

The media had caught wind of the current fiasco within the palace grounds, concerning Pete and his obligation to settle down, when a picnic was announced to be held and a certain list of guests containing the princesses' names were "accidentally" leaked. He knew that this entire thing was a publicity stunt to get him in the public's good graces again, but it only made deciding more difficult with paparazzi breathing down his neck rather frequently now. The princesses had been staying at the palace and were given their own rooms for the time being. They were nice and lovely as most girls were. That was the problem, though.

Every time Pete encountered any of them he'd be forced to endure a mind-numbing conversation that he could've received from a drunk chick at a bar. They were boring and typical, and though they were royal, he couldn't see himself marrying any of them when they had the IQ of a starfish. It didn't stop him from luring a few into his bed, which would have repelled his parents had they known of it. Pete didn't care even if he should have. Having relations with the girls gave them false hope that they were special to him when, really, he just thought they would be a good distraction.

He was aware of how horrible of an idea it was to seduce each one and allow for them to think he was mildly interested, but what else was he supposed to do being held prisoner in his home with a dozen gorgeous broads? Meagan must have known by then what was going on every time Pete disappeared upstairs to the sound of feminine giggles. Yet, she didn't mention it around him. He figured it hadn't affected how she felt about him as far as he could tell with her continued displays of affection toward the prince. Pete hadn't bedded her, despite the tension between the two whenever they were around each other.

She had more respect for herself than to so easily give into the temptation without any guarantee that she'd be his fiancee. That was perhaps the reason Pete was smitten by her- the fact that she was highly intelligent and held herself above the others inadvertently. He wasn't excited for the outing nor was he ever for any type of event he was required to go to because it would only mean that for the day he'd have to be tame and pretend he was turning over a new leaf. Pete may have been lying to the people about who he was, but he could never lie to himself. The prince was as worthless as he acted.

Having money and fame just masked the reality his family was trying so hard to change. It didn't matter how many stories they could spin and threats they could make because deep down he knew that seasons change, but people don't. After all the cameras were put away Pete was nothing but a stranger to everyone, himself included. Gerard had chosen the day's outfit for him which consisted of a dark blazer paired with a periwinkle blue dress shirt, khaki slacks and Oxford loafers- the perfect combination by his standards, but to Pete it was hell to keep on when the material clung to his skin like plastic wrap on a turkey. He let out an exasperated sigh after undoing the first two buttons so he could breath properly and splayed out on the chair in the corner of his room with his phone.

Brendon had been texting him non-stop to hang out, and though Pete had tried to get to his best friend multiple times, security had always found a way to stop him dead in his tracks. His parents had promised he'd be allowed to go out again once they'd settled on a bodyguard, which was one of the main things Pete was dreading the most about today. They apparently had hired someone already who was to arrive at the palace before the picnic, so Pete wouldn't be going there unprotected. He didn't want to be babysat as if he were a child again.

He'd gone through enough of that with his nannies growing up, but he didn't have a single say in the matter. Gerard only had to knock on his door once to indicate to the prince that it was time to head downstairs. Pete dragged his feet as he walked beside his assistant.

"The girls have gone in their own limos. You're taking the SUV," he explained.

"Are you going?"
"I don't need to. That's what your bodyguard is for."
His eyes darted toward the short man waiting at the foot of the stairs with calm, nonthreatening characteristics of plump cheeks and a slender, perky nose. A pair of clear-framed sunglasses with dark-tinted lenses were positioned below the feathery, fluffed yellow locks tumbling in short waves on his head. Pete studied the taupe cotton button down shirt tucked into his black slacks and the coffee overcoat draped over the roundness of his shoulders that rose, encouraging the eye to follow the collarbone to that soft, bulge on his throat.