.•°Seven.•°

It was two weeks before Pete could properly move around again. He'd detested the inability to leave his bed without assistance and only ever being allowed in the courtyards if he wanted fresh air for fear that he would hurt himself going out in public. That being said, he hadn't seen his bodyguard since the day they went hiking, which was a rather strange feeling, being that he had spent so much time with him beforehand that perhaps in some way he'd grown accustomed to having the short blond man around.

Pete felt like he owed it to Patrick to be less cruel after the scenario where he could have fallen to his death had it not been for his employee's quick reflexes, so once he received the go-ahead to walk on his own he went in search of Patrick, who must have been relieved to have had two weeks of rest without Pete's constant presence.

He'd heard from Gerard a couple days ago that Patrick had been keeping the princesses company while Pete recovered, which was a rather odd revelation for the prince. Jealousy wasn't exactly the word for what he felt. If Patrick wanted he could have had his choosing of any girl that he pleased, and Pete wouldn't have cared at all. Perhaps he thought his employee was trying to show him up, prove that he was much more charming and considerate. That irked him to think about.

He descended the steps dressed in his day's attire and walked toward a certain sound emitting from the ballroom. The reverberation that sang from the piano keys stirred wonders inside his soul. From the thunderous tones of the lower octaves, to the trickling light showers brought on by the higher octaves, he pictured drops of rain, long and lingering- crisp, unified, cohesive rainwater that drew Pete in from the second he heard it. An ethereal voice was mixed in there, warm, with a rounded feel, cozy, like a blanket that wraps around you, and touches your heart. It was hauntingly pure, rising and sinking effortlessly, touching upon each sound like a dove.

Pete saw Patrick sitting there at the piano with the girls lounged around the ballroom, surrounding him. They were mesmerized by him, and so was the prince. He'd been to shows before, but none could compare to the raw skill that Patrick was gifted with. When it was over the silence seemed unbearable. The princesses vacated the room, some remaining to chat with him. Pete didn't enter until they were all gone.

"You never told me you had musical talents," he said.
Patrick jumped, surprised to see the prince after so long. He cleared his throat and smiled in response.
"It never came up."
"Well, I'm glad you could entertain the girls while I've been recuperating."

"I mean I didn't plan to, but whenever I got bored I'd come down and play for them. It's nice to have an audience."
Pete sat in the space next to him and lifted the shiny, pitch black fall to reveal the pure ivory keys shimmering in the chandeliers' light as if they were a moon on a starry night; bright, beautiful, and breathtaking. Unfortunately, the most he ever learned to play was three seconds of Canon in D.

"Which one do you like?" he asked, letting the fallboard go back into place.
"What?"
"I'm sure one of them must have gotten your attention."
"You mean the princesses? Oh, no, I think you're misreading-"

"It's fine, Patrick. I don't mind. They seem to like you as much as me."
"I'm not-I'm not interested in any of them."
"They're gorgeous women. You're a single guy, right? Don't tell me you haven't thought about sleeping with one of them."

"I haven't."
"You're lying," Pete said.
"No, I'm gay."
"Oh."

What else could he say to that? The prince nodded once and dropped his gaze to his shoes before carefully returning it to his bodyguard's face.
"What's-um...what's that like?"
"Being gay? I'm attracted to guys. That's pretty much it. Haven't you ever met a gay person?"

"I mean yeah. Gerard is. He just doesn't talk about it."
"Well, now you know me. I won't be offended if you're curious about something. Promise."
"Why would I be curious? I'm not like you," Pete said.