4|A Mistake on Jacob Black's Part

DISCLAIMER: Everything belongs to Rick Riordan and Stephanie Meyer. I own nothing.
_______________________________

THE WHOLE RIDE to La Push, Annabeth could feel regret seeping in. The momentary adrenaline rush from defying that stupid Cullen boy was gone, and memories of the last time she had been around that odd Jacob Black replaced them.

     Trying to distract herself, Annabeth brought herself back to the whole reason she had first gotten into the car. "Hey, Bella?"

     "Yeah," answered the other girl stiffly, who had been clutching the steering wheel tightly the entire ride.

     "Does Edward act like that a lot? Trying to make you do what he says?"

     Bella sighed. "He's just... extremely overprotective."

     Annabeth hesitated, before taking a risk. "He's a bit different. Like, the way he speaks sometimes is weird, and how he didn't eat lunch today and didn't eat dinner the other night." Bella glanced over at Annabeth worriedly.

     "I don't know what you're talking about." So she does know what's up with Edward, thought Annabeth. And she was lying for him.

     "Alright, I'll humor you. For now," Annabeth added, giving Annabeh a stern look. "I heard today that the Cullens left awhile ago, and just recently came back. And I heard... I heard that you didn't take their moving away all too well." Bella's grip on the wheel tightened even more. "So your boyfriend left you, and you thought that the reasonable response would be to go crazy."

     Bella flinched visibly. "You don't understand," she snapped. "You don't know what it's like to lose someone you love." Annabeth snorted at that.

     "You don't know anything about me, Bella, if you believe that. And I can't believe that you took Edward back, if he hurt you like that." Bella's eyes narrowed in anger.

     "Edward only left because he thought it would be safer for me!"

     "Why the heck would being around him put you in danger?" asked Annabeth, bewildered. "Because, if that's the case, then you really shouldn't be with him."

     "I'm not in danger! He just thought I was!"

     "Well, then, why'd he come back?"

     "I—Some things happened, alright? And it just hurt too much for us to be apart. And, if doing what he says will make him stay, then that's what I'll do!"

     Annabeth stared at Bella, unbelieving. "You'll do whatever he says," she began slowly, her voice laced through with disgust, "because you don't want him to leave you? That's not healthy, Bella, not healthy at all. That's just... that's just plain terrible. I thought that you, independent as you've were when we were little, would know better than let a man control your life!"

     "Look, can we just drop it?" asked Bella. Annabeth looked at her. She wondered what one of the Huntresses of Artemis would do if they were in this conversation. Spazz out, probably.

     "Fine, for now. But we are going to discuss this some other time." The rest of the ride was spent in silence.

     After another ten minutes, Bella pulled up in front of a tiny red brick house—honestly it looked more like a shed. The front door opened before the truck even stopped, and out ran Jacob Black, in nothing but a pair of old shorts.