9|Answers

Percy's eyes roved around until they landed on a figure—he recognized those blonde curls. Annabeth stood at the far wall, perfectly still, with her head hanging down and arms crossed.

"Annabeth," he breathed.

"Hey, Percy," she said softly. Her voice sounded different than usual. Looking more closely at her, Percy realized that her skin had lost its deep tan, and was now pearly white. Then she looked up, and Percy gasped.

Her eyes were red.

PERCY STOPPED AND stared. Inhaling shakily, he again breathed out, "Annabeth?" This time it was more of a question. "What—?" he began, glancing by around the room at the other people. He took a moment to study them, and realized that each one's skin had the same sickly looking tone as Annabeth's. After a few moments silence, when it seemed that no one was going to say anything, Carlisle stepped in.

"If you would allow, I would be happy to explain," he told Percy cautiously.

"Maybe we should take this downstairs," said one of the women before Percy could reply. "Annabeth, dear, maybe it would be better for you to stay up here. The temptation might be a bit too much for you this soon."

"I'll be fine," Annabeth said immediately, standing up. "We just hunted yesterday." Hunted?

"Are you sure you can control yourself?" asked one of the guys, a young man with bronze hair. "You've only been turned for a few days, and I'd hate for something...unfortunate...to happen."

"I'm not going to hurt him," argued Annabeth. Hurt him? And why was her voice different?

"What is going on?" demanded Percy. Everyone seemed to ignore him.

"Alice?" asked Bella. Another girl, small with short, dark hair, appeared to zone out for a second before she shook her head.

"I can't see him," she said. This was Alice, Percy assumed. What did she mean she couldn't see him? He was right here, and she didn't seem to be blind. "But I don't think anything bad will happen. And, anyways, the guys are there to stop her if anything goes wrong. Don't worry, Esme." So, the woman who wanted Annabeth to stay upstairs was named Esme.

"Let's just go," said Annabeth. In a flash, she had disappeared from the room. One of the guys laughed at Percy's bewildered face.

Everyone settled down in the living room downstairs. Percy kept his eyes on Annabeth, vaguely aware of Dr. Cullen making introductions. She looked almost creepy now. It wasn't only her skin and voice and those eyes that were changed, though those differences were the most obvious. Her face was more angular now, hollowed out. She was the same height, but her stance was stiff and unnatural looking. She didn't even seem to be breathing. Part of Percy wondered if this was really her, but the other part—his more instinctual side—could just tell that this was his Annabeth.

She was beautiful, and she was terrifying.

That's basically the same as always, thought Percy. He felt himself relax some.

"Percy," began Dr. Cullen, "Do you believe in the supernatural?"

He blinked. "You mean, like, ghosts and stuff?"

"Well, er—no, not exactly. I'm speaking more along the lines of the... physical... side of things. A commonly used term would be 'monster,' crude as it is."

"Oh. I, uh..." How to say, Yeah, I know monsters are real. I've only been fighting them since I was twelve. "What do you guys know about monsters."

"So he does," murmured Dr. Cullen, this time to himself and for his family's benefit.

"I told you," said Annabeth, sounding exasperated. "You don't have anything to worry about; he understands the need for secrecy."

"I'm sorry," interjected Percy, becoming increasingly confused. "Can someone please just cut the crap out and explain this to me? Annabeth, were you attacked by a monster?"

Dr. Cullen raised an eyebrow at him. "You see, Percy—"

"They're vampires," said Annabeth. "All of the Cullens are, and I was attacked by one that was passing through, so now I'm one too."

"Vam—Hold up, I though vampires were a myth!"

"A myth!" exclaimed Annabeth, throwing her hands in the air in exasperation. "Your entire life has been involved in nothing but myths!"

"But those are real myths—vampires are a fake myth, like Antlantis and Bigfoot."

"Clearly they're not," said Annabeth, frowning on the outside while inwardly relieved at the familiarity of the dynamic of their relationship.

"But Kelli said—"

"Kelli, the empousa who tried to kill me, like, twice?"

"Wait, what?" asked Bella. Annabeth acted like she hadn't heard. Everyone else in the room was watching the conversation like a tennis match.

"You'd believe her over me, sitting here, a real live vampire, and them," she motioned to the Cullens, "Standing here, real live vampires?"

"So you're really a—" Percy's voice was small.

"Yes."

"Oh."

"..."

"Cool."