Blackbird.

I stood outside until the locker room was empty to change back into my regular clothes after gym class. After I was sure everyone was gone I went inside, picked a corner and began to undress. I had gotten my shirt back on but my bottom half was uncovered when I heard voices approaching. My heart was racing and beating so loudly I could hear it in my ears.

"I think I left my makeup bag in here" Katherine's distinctive voice resonated of the lockers. Kathy Unlander, the worst of them all, I tensed up at the sound of her voice. "Well look who we have here" she smirked, her eyes falling on me. As if on cue a posse of girls filed in, surrounding me.

"If it isn't scrawny legged Blackbird" Kathy snickered. I finally managed to get my pants on, attempting to ignore them. I gathered my things heading for the exit when Naomi blocked my way.

"Where you flying off to Blackbird" she smirked pushing me backwards. I pushed her back and she hauled off and punched me in the stomach. I groaned and leaned over, crumpling to the ground. She bent down, whispering in my ear menacingly "Careful little girl, or you'll get your wings snipped" I just closed my eyes and waited until their footsteps retreated. When they were gone I slowly pulled myself up off the floor wiping my stray tears. I'm not sure how much time had passed but the campus was nearly empty by the time by the time I exited the building.

"Hey you need a ride" a voice called out. I looked up it was one of my classmates, Evan Parker. I stopped and looked him dead in the eye then a continued walking. I stopped at Tara's school to pick her up and she was waiting at the steps with her teacher. Her face instantly lit up when she saw me, making me smile.

"Ready to go babycakes" I asked, offering my hand. She nodded and laced her fingers through mine and we walked home while she told me every detail of her day. When we arrived at our house I was thankful to discover that Teresa wasn't there but surprisingly there was food.

"Where's mommy?" Tara asked.

"She's running some errands she'll be back" I replied. Truthfully I had no clue where she was but what's new. I made us a quick dinner then took it to our room where Tara was doing homework. I handed her a plate then we sat on the bed and began to eat.

"I like it when we have food" she said giddily taking bites out of her spaghetti.

"Me too" I agreed.

I gave Tara her bath and put her to bed then I took a shower right after. As I lie down, I thought about how each day just seems to get harder. My will is seemingly withering away, but I have a responsibility to keep going, for Tara. If I give up, then she has no one. I dozed off, I woke to Teresa gently shaking me. I jumped up, shielding Tara behind me.

"Get up you two it's time for school" she smiled. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse we were back at Phase Two. Phase Two when my mother seems to just get better overnight then a stressful situation will occur and it's back to Phase One. I got Tara and I dressed and ready to go and my mother had breakfast waiting for us.

"What's this" I asked hesitantly.

"Breakfast, I know you guys are late so just take it with you, I'll see you later" she kissed Tara's cheek and tried the same with me but I jerked away from her. We ate our breakfast along the way, and as usual I dropped Tara off and made my way to school. All of this was nice and all but deep down I knew, something isn't right.

I forced myself through my everyday ritual of being picked on and harassed by everyone. I'm so used to it that it doesn't usually bother me but today, my anxiety has had me worked up about my mother, about what was to come. I was so into my thoughts I was startled when Ms. Night called on me.

"Rena, could you come up here please" I noticed Evan standing by her desk. I slowly slid out of my seat and shuffled to the front of the classroom.

"So from my observation you and Mr. Parker here are the only two who have not inquired about extra credit. Will you tell me why that is?" she questioned, I kept my eyes on my shoes and just shrugged.

"I see" she pursed her lips and sighed "Well I'm not sure if you two are aware but I'm the cliche hardass teacher that doesn't want to see my students fail, especially if I see the potential they possess. So I'm assigning you two to do a group project, it will be due in 4 weeks. I want you to create a detailed presentation about the phases of mitosis with a diorama included" she smiled brightly, not really giving us an option. I nodded and quickly returned to my seat, Evan didn't look too happy but neither was I. Internally I cursed Ms. Night for giving me more stress than I needed but I slowly found myself smiling at the realization that she thought I had potential.