CHAPTER 6

There was a hand on my face when I woke up next, cold, but gentle, their thumb brushing lightly over the cuts under my eye. I almost leaned into the touch before I recognized whose it was and jerked my head away, peeling my eyes open to see Bay standing in front of me, looking pale, his eyes dark and hollow, no emotion on his face at all.

I was still hanging from the ceiling in Vinet's room, my entire body throbbed with a dull ache, and my mind was foggy as I tried to focus on something as Bay reached out to hold my face again. His touch was gentle, soft, almost like he was trying to apologize for what had happened, but I didn't let myself sink into his hands.

"Are you okay?" he asked me, his voice choked slightly.

I didn't respond, just glared up at him, wincing when he grabbed my chin firmly, "You were muttering in your sleep, Carter. I couldn't understand a lot of it, but I did catch a bit," he dug into his pocket with his other hand, pulling out the brilliant diamond ring and holding it up so the light could catch on the gems.

My breath visibly hitched as my eyes widened, and Bay held my face tighter, "Tobias Florian," he said, and my eyes flashed to his, "He gave you this. An engagement ring. You were muttering, I will marry you. Is it just a fantasy?" his hand slipped away to instead wrap around my throat, squeezing, a light flashing through his eyes as his hand curled into a fist around the ring, "Or have you been seeing him?"

Again, I didn't bother answering, not just because I couldn't really speak with his hand closed around my airway, but because there was no way I was going to put Tobias in danger like that. For me to be in this position was fine, but I would rather die than see Tobias strung up beside me simply because we loved each other and Bay was jealous and possessive.

"You have been," Bay said, "I can see it in your eyes. What, you really wanted to marry him? You were planning to run away from me to meet up with him? You were going to leave me?" he released his hold and took a single step back, slipping the ring back into his pocket, "I do love you, Carter... which is why I'm sorry I had to do it."

My brows drew together in confusion, eyes growing wide in horror when Bay pulled out the two-way radio I used to communicate with Tobias, "I called him," Bay explained, and I stopped breathing, "Made a deal. If he wants you safe, come to America, give me all his supplies. You'll be happy to know he does love you... he did... love you. He came alone, brought everything he could carry in a jet, begged me to release you," he shrugged, dropping the little radio onto the floor, "But you know how that sonnet ends."

Bay crushed the radio under his heel, and my heart fell out from my chest as I tried to drop to my knees, unable to because of my arms being held up. I just swung slightly, eyes wide and lips parted as he twisted his heel to break the radio down more. I shook my head in disbelief, looking up at his face.

"No..."

"He struggled a lot," Bay said, scratching his neck, "Cursed, said some very rude things. He wasn't in pain, I promise. I figured it was the least I could do for you, to kill him quickly, so he wouldn't hurt."

"No...," my vision blurred as tears filled them, pouring over my cheeks.

"It had to be done, Carter," Bay insisted, holding my face with both hands, "He was in the way! He wanted to take you from me! I couldn't let that happen!"

"NO!" I screamed, jerking away from him, and pushing myself to my feet, yanking at the chains and screaming so loud I could feel my throat burning.

It couldn't be real, it couldn't, please god, no.

Bay grabbed me, disregarding my painful wounds, and yanked me against his chest, hugging me and attempting to sooth me with hushes, "It's okay, Carter, you're okay. You'll forget about him, I promise! You have me still, baby brother, I'm right here! I'll always protect you!"